can a spray primer be used on PVC Foam sheets?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Emergency Design Hologram

can a spray primer be used on PVC Foam sheets?

Post by Emergency Design Hologram »

Hi guys,

As title really. I bought some raboesche PVC foam sheets and built some terrain on them using the new plastic warhammer buildings and polyfiller. Anyhow, I was wonder if it was possible to use spray paint to prime it all. The polyfiller and plastic will be fine but I'm not so sure on the pvc foam. It's not big pink insulation foam, it is sort of like styrene. Any experiences with it?
----------------------
I'm a ship designer, not a doorstop.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

If it's really PVC then it should be just fine. Main lookout would be whether it's actually a mixture of plastics and not purely PVC.

Of course, when in doubt, use a bit of leftover scrap to test and see.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Shinnentai is right. Always test what you use on a scrap peice. Water based polyurethane is safe to use on most foams. You can also use fiberglass cloth and set it with water based polyurethane, the same as you would with epoxy resin. There is also a product called styrospray that won't attack foam. When glueing the foam together you can use 3m77 spray adhesive. My .02 cents worth.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Krylon makes water-based(acrylic?) spray paint now. That might be a safer bet.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?