Great Target find

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

jgoldader

Great Target find

Post by jgoldader »

Howdy,

'Tis the season for finding cheap LEDs for model lighting, cunningly disguised as holiday lights. In addition to the usual AC powered strings of LEDs, my local Target had $5 sets of ~15 miniature LEDs, in white and mixed R/G/B/Y (about 4 of each LED per strand on the mixed color sets). Each LED has an individual drop-down resistor attached. The sets run on 6V DC (4 1.5 V AA batteries). They come in small (3"x3" or so) boxes.

They're small, they're cheap, and I don't have to solder the resistors myself. Can't be beat.

Jeff
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Great find!

While beating back the hordes at my local Wal-Mart, I found a bunch of gaudy toy magic wands hanging on a clip strip in the seasonal candy aisle. They have 5 bright clear red 3mm LEDs arranged around a circular circuit board and when a little button is pressed, the LEDs chase around the circle. It runs on two tiny little 1.5v button batteries with no resistors. Whatever the component is that makes the sequence work is hidden under a drop of black epoxy on the circuits board. Cost? 98 cents. I got two of them and I have no idea what I'll do with them but I couldn't resist.
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Over here, its almost the same except that there are three LEDs, (Red, Yellow and Blue) and when the button is pressed, they flash very fast almost is if altogether. All are house in clear clases in the shape of cartoon bears, hearts, etc.

And they sell them in boxes too!
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
schweinhund227

Post by schweinhund227 »

Thanks for the INFO !!!

You might want to take a look at Wall mart ! as well

the Good old UFO Fibre Optic Lamp is out again...
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/fiber ... x/ufo3.jpg
you can Gut out the Saucer for a small motor and switch...

but the Optical Fibre Tail is the best Deal.... 400 plus strands for 7$ of almost 12" long.. good for many projects.... ISD or Dash Boards...
they are of the PVC kind... no GLASS !!! thank god !

I find it cheap enough to keep buying it... even If I have lots already !!!

I kept one intact for ambiance !!! LOL

If you need fibre but don't want to invest in a Large Spool... this could be the ticket !!!