Airbrush newbie. What type and where the heck to buy online.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Orion

Airbrush newbie. What type and where the heck to buy online.

Post by Orion »

Well, not just new at airbrush's, I'm new at just about everything as far as real modeling is concerned. Sure I threw together some when I was a kid, and thats how they turned out, looked like someone threw them together.

I've been reading various websites for a while now, and I've got most of the basics under my thumb I believe, except for paint. It still baffles the small minds. :?

I've started on the Monogram USS Voyager model. Still in the early construction stages right now though. My first major problem, is that I don't have a local hobby shop. Walmart would be as close as it comes. Looks like there's a Hobbytown about an hour from me, but I can't say I've ever been to one. Is it legal to ship paints? Granted I'm sure I don't know the best supply websites to look at, but the ones that I do don't seem to offer much in the line of paint. Any good website recommendations?

Of course I'd like the paint finish to look as best as I can get it, so it would seem that an Airbrush would be the way to go. I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking at when I look at these. Some say they are good for base coats, some use the 'propel' cans for propellant, and so on. It seems that for the most part, the accuracy of the brush, as in if it is good for base or fine work, can be adjusted by the tip used. Is this correct? So I'm looking for a decently priced, reliable, general use airbrush. I've looked at some of the badgers, Iwata's (out of my price range right now) and some of the others, and seems like maybe the badger (350?) might foot the bill.

Again, sorry for all the simple questions. I'm trying to read as much as I can to get a handle on what I need to do, but still get the odd question stuck in my mind from time to time. Thanks.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Welcome to the model-building hobby! It's more fun than stamp collecting, safer than mountain climbing, and less expensive than golf. Check out http://www.bearair.com and http://www.dixieart.com for airbrushes. Most airbrushes have optional nozzles for use with different types of paints. Go ahead and start looking for a nice little compressor with a tank; you can buy a compressor for the cost of a few cans of propellant. Yes, paints can be shipped just about anywhere and you can get them from all sorts of places, like http://www.squadron.com and http://www.internethobbies.com. Most Hobbytown USA stores have a great selection of supplies and kits, so if you can afford the road trip, I recommend paying them a visit.

Hope this helps!
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

I bought mine at Dixie and have to say i was happy with their service.

As for AB. When i started building models awhile back i got a Aztec 370 off evilbay. It was cheap and helped me learned the basic concept of AB without all the crazy parts disassembly. But i as got better with my work it was not the brush for me so up graded.

I got my compressor from Walmart and a trip to lowes gave me the items i needed to outfit it right. (moisture trap, regulator)

This is the place went to find my info and also shot over to fine scale as they have some good pointers there too.

Now i work in mostly 1/72 so i could use a fine detail brush for almost everything. So my wife ordered me a Iwata HP-C plus. Love it.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Thanks for the information guys! Every bit helps a ton. I didn't really see a reason why paint couldn't be shipped, it was just a matter of me looking in the right place.

And thanks for the brushes as well. I'm happy to say I was wrong when I said that I didn't have any local hobby stores, as I actually found one yesterday. They moved in from another town not to long ago. I don't really have anything to compare too, but it seemed like a nice independently owned little shop. He had some airbrushes that he showed me, a Badger 150, and Paasche VL. He said he had some others, but that these were the better ones that he carried. A surprise to me, because I'm used to retail stores being much more expensive than their online counter parts, his prices aren't much off online prices. To me, either of these seem like decent brushes, and personally I would like to support a local mom and pop store at every chance I can, what's the general thoughts on these two?

And thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm sure they've been asked a million times before :)
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Badger 150 and Paasche VL have both been around since the stone age and parts are easy to get and cheap. I used a Badger 200 (single-action version of the 150) for years before the pickup tube separated from the body and I have a VL that I use sometimes. Both require a fair amount of breakdown to properly clean, but they are good values. If you have a Big Lots store nearby, check to see if they have a cheap little external-mix airbrush. I've seen one recently and it looks like a clone of a Badger 350. I'm thinking about picking one up to use for odd little jobs. You could get a nice airbrush with a fine nozzle for detail work and use the cheap airbrush for coarse work like primers and Future.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Sorry for the delay, life gets in the way of the fun stuff at times :8)

I got the Paasche VL from the local store. Not had a chance to try it out yet, just picked up a compressor today. I found what looked like a knock off of the Badger 150 at the Harbor Freight Tools store for $15, so I picked it up as well. :) The brand name on it is central pneumatic (same name as the compressor I got).

Like I said, I'm new at all this. But I do know that proper maintaince on any tool will make for a very long life. I'm still trying to figure out the different household things I can use to clean acrylic paint with, but for now I do have the bottle of stuff that the guy at the store sold me. (I'm still in the process of reading though posts, so I'll figure it out eventualy). Now, when you say it takes a fair amount of break down to clean it properly, do you mind to be a bit more specific? I've messed around with the Paasche getting familiar with it, and it doesn't seem like much to take the needle out, and remove the nozzles tips. Is this all that needs to be done to break one down properly to clean, or does more of the 'innards' come out of the body part? I can easily see how an external mix would be FAR more simpler in this reguard.

I've still got a ton of questions, but I try to keep my mouth shut as much as I can. I enjoy randomly reading though the older posts because it often leads me new information that I didn't even know about, and teaches me about something I just learned I couldn't live without.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Orion,

Go Cats!

Now that that's out of the way.

To remove acrylic paints, use window cleaner (Windex) with ammonia in it. Don't leave stuff soaking in it, though, as ammonia will pit brass over time. Some airbrush tips are brass.

Also, with most acrylic paints, you can thin with distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, or Windex with ammonia.

If you can, head to the Hobbytown in LExington or Louisville. There's a Finescale Modeler that's still available that has a special attachment specifically about airbrushing acrylics you will find super helpful that nails down the specifics as to which paint brands like which thinners.

One more thing, check out the "sticky" posts in this forum on airbrushing.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Cats Represent! :D

Thanks for the tips on what to clean with. Not sure if we've got the real deal windex or not, but next time we go to the store I'll be sure to get some with ammonia in it.

Yes, I'll be getting to the Hobbytown in Lexington as soon as Christmas is over. I'm not a big fan on the traffic up there on a normal day, much less during Christmas lol. I'm only about an hour away, and am around there or Winchester often for work so shouldn't be long before I get up there.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Welcome o the forum! You have great advice so far. I think you may be close to me. I live in KY and Hobbytown is about an hour away in Lexington. Walmart in Danville is the closest thing for me. At least they have the road construction done up there!
Orion

Post by Orion »

Are you kidding, if road construction ever got finished in the state of KY, Earth world would fall off it's axis. No sooner so they finish in one place, they start somewhere else. It's nice to see people from around here in the hobby. I'm actually a little further away from you though robiwon, about an hour an a half maybe, depending on traffic on 150. I live outside of London, so nothing of interest is close to me except a lake, and with the summer we've had, even that's a sad sight.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Orion,

Here's a great primer on airbrushing in general from FSM:

"ABC's of Airbrushing"

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Thanks for that! That answered a lot of questions I had on cleaning, and general airbrushing as well. Looks like I do need to find me a junker kit to practice on and test paints with. Excellent article.