Light Source Lasts 12 Years - No Electricity Needed

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

CessnaDriver

Light Source Lasts 12 Years - No Electricity Needed

Post by CessnaDriver »

I have models over 12 years old I would be bummed about if I had put this inside, but who knows maybe future products will last longer........

http://www.physorg.com/news116776284.html
Mikeym_us

Re: Light Source Lasts 12 Years - No Electricity Needed

Post by Mikeym_us »

CessnaDriver wrote:I have models over 12 years old I would be bummed about if I had put this inside, but who knows maybe future products will last longer........

http://www.physorg.com/news116776284.html
My hope is that they don't try to miniaturise nuclear reactors to fit in a model kit.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

This would be the best of both worlds for some modelers: have all the glowy warp engines and deflectors they want with no electronics experience needed. Of course the glow isn't that bright, but still it would be a godsend for 1:2500 scale modelers.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

A long time ago, TI (Texas Instruments) used to sell a LCD wristwatch with two tritium based backlight cells. The watches were cheap, so I took out the tritium lights; they made dim, but usable, night lights.
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

This is nothing particularly new, right? I mean, there have been self-luminating watch dials using tritium for a while now... It sounds like all they did was scale it up, maybe work out new ways of applying it...

(For those not aware - basically tritium goes through a radioactive decay - it is this radiation which causes the phosphorescent part of the material to glow. Apparently they used to use radium for the same job - Tritium is, I guess, a safer, more recent alternative.)
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

tetsujin wrote
Tritium is, I guess, a safer, more recent alternative
Might be safer than radium like they used to use on old glow in the dark watches.

More likely to prevent incidents like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_boy_scout
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

The atom is your friend.

No really.