Spraybooth Ventilation

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Devin

Spraybooth Ventilation

Post by Devin »

I have a working spray booth solution that I'm quite happy with. My problem is that it vents outside, and during the winter I can't as easily pop open the window and use it. Does anyone know of a system that I could buy, or preferably build, so that I could filter the air inside? I'm just curious how big of a fan and box of floss and charcoal I'd need to accomplish this.

-Devin
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Get thee to thine hardware store and look for a fine furnace filter to grab the particulates ($5 for 5 usually) , and a A/C activated charcoal pad ($10). Double up on the filter pad, triple up on the charcoal or more. The big question after all that is what's your draw on the blower because the filters will reduce your airflow a bit.
Abolish Alliteration
Devin

Post by Devin »

Thanks for the info. Yes, the fan is the thing: the one I have works decently in the small booth I have, but it won't pull near what I want for this. I'm going to have to find something with real cajones to pull through all that filter material.
-Professor Farnsworth
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

Thanks. I've been wondering about this issue too!
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Devin--

Cut a board to fit your window. Cut a hole in it to pass the exhaust tube through. Seal thoroughly with spray foam and/or duct tape. REMOVE THE WINDOW SCREEN, unless you want a multi-colored circle! Put in window, close tightly, and spray away.

If you are worried about air leaks, you can also seal the board to the window with foam weatherstripping on top and bottom of the board. To seal the sides, I would be to use one of those window A/C kits to seal the sides of the board. If I ever get around to building a spraybooth, I'll take pictures and post them.

LDB
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
Devin

Post by Devin »

I did that exact thing! I still need a higher capacity fan, but I cut the board to 1/4" wider than the window opening. I can slide it into the window tracks, close it down (also used the foam tape to seal the board) and it's airtight.
-Professor Farnsworth
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Try one of these.
Abolish Alliteration
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Devin wrote:I did that exact thing! I still need a higher capacity fan, but I cut the board to 1/4" wider than the window opening. I can slide it into the window tracks, close it down (also used the foam tape to seal the board) and it's airtight.
Great minds and all that... :D
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
johnnyb

Post by johnnyb »

How about using a shop vac to vent the booth?

JB
Devin

Post by Devin »

I tried that years ago, maybe even far back enough that I was still in the Navy. The vac has a lot of suction but it doesn't seem to move enough air volume for venting. My fan currently vents 100cfm (cubic feet per minute) and it keeps up well enough with light airbrushing, but if I go for heavy coats or break out a rattle-can, it doesn't get everything out of the room. The one that Kylwell linked to moves six times more air than mine does, so if it's quiet enough, that'll be the way to go.
-Professor Farnsworth