Clear Plastic and Vinyl Questions.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

RavenGundam

Clear Plastic and Vinyl Questions.

Post by RavenGundam »

Is there any way to make clear plastic be nice and clear again after sanding out imperfections and such? I custom built some parts a very long time ago and am only finally getting back to them. (Think bug wings since it's a mecha from Dunbine)

Also, how does one patch air bubbles in vinyl? The stuff I have doesn't seem to stick >.< Tamiya basic putty is what I have. Do I need the more expensive stuff?
Joseph Osborn

Re: Clear Plastic and Vinyl Questions.

Post by Joseph Osborn »

RavenGundam wrote:Is there any way to make clear plastic be nice and clear again after sanding out imperfections and such? I custom built some parts a very long time ago and am only finally getting back to them. (Think bug wings since it's a mecha from Dunbine)

Also, how does one patch air bubbles in vinyl? The stuff I have doesn't seem to stick >.< Tamiya basic putty is what I have. Do I need the more expensive stuff?
To restore clear parts, use progressively finer grades of superfine abrasive to polish the surface and then dip the part in Future. One of the cheapest tools to do this work is a three-grit fingernail polishing stick from the make-up aisle.

You can use CA glue thickened with microballoons or talc to fill the voids in the vinyl. Gotta take it easy with the sanding because even though the filler will make the CA easier to sand, it'll still be tougher than the vinyl. Epoxy putty like Milliput of Aves will work for this purpose, too.

Hope this helps :)
RavenGundam

Post by RavenGundam »

Microbaloons? O.o?

As for the Future stuff, I have none >.< (Yeah I know... )

Hm, I need to buy me some CA glue now XD
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

My experience with superglue and microbaloons/talc has been that it solidifies quite rigid. With Microballons the result is tough as nails, and difficult to sand. Talc is better, but still a lot tougher and more rigid than the vinyl would be, and that could create some difficulty during sanding.

Sculptable fillers (like epoxy putty) IMO are much preferreable to fillers that require sanding when working with vinyl. Aves is good. Superglue-and-talc does have much better adhesion than any of the epoxy putties I've used though, meaning there's less risk of it cracking off the vinyl.

I've never tried Green Stuff, but I understand it cures slightly flexible, which could be a big advantage with a vinyl kit.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle