Dull paint over gloss?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Pandaphil

Dull paint over gloss?

Post by Pandaphil »

Okay, I've got a noob question (Sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find it with SEARCH).

Picked up a rattlecan of white to use as a primer/undercoat for a mostly red Macross fighter (with white stripes showing through). Unfortunately I discovered too late that it was gloss (they need to label these things!). Is it safe to overspray this with matte red and will a clear dull coat kill the gloss? Ir would I be better off just stripping it off and repaint from scratch?
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
Joseph Osborn

Re: Dull paint over gloss?

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Pandaphil wrote:Okay, I've got a noob question (Sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find it with SEARCH).

Picked up a rattlecan of white to use as a primer/undercoat for a mostly red Macross fighter (with white stripes showing through). Unfortunately I discovered too late that it was gloss (they need to label these things!). Is it safe to overspray this with matte red and will a clear dull coat kill the gloss? Ir would I be better off just stripping it off and repaint from scratch?
You were not specific about the brand of gloss paint your are using, but you should not have a problem. It sounds like you already have the gloss white paint on there successfully, so your best bet is to leave it and then paint your red stripes and follow up with your clear flat. Just make sure your chemistry for the next paint coats will be safe with the gloss white. Try to avoid Testors Dullcoat if at all possible because it seems to eat everything it is sprayed over.
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Oops sorry. It was Testors 'Bright White'. And yeah, except for some touch ups, the entire model is a nice glossy white. :p

Basically I'll be masking off the nosecone and white wing and fuselage stripes, then oversprayed the entire thing with matte red.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Maybe, I've had problems spraying matt paints over gloss white. One time I ran out of gloss white in a spraycan and used flat to finish up after the gloss dried, the flat cracked when it dried.

Are you using a spraycan for the matt red or are you airbrushing it?

I've found that you can airbrush matt paints over gloss paints, but spraycans are iffy, just go with light coats.

Ken
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've had more problems painting gloss over gloss than matte over gloss.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati