Mold Release?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

YT

Mold Release?

Post by YT »

I am nearly ready to complete my first attempt at casting and I have a question. I am using the brush-on latex for a mold, do I need to put something on the mold to ensure release before I pour in the resin (Alumilite)?
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

I have a can of mold release I bought when I picked up my first Alumalite kit. I have been through several bulk packs of casting resin and still have the same can, it only takes a light dusting. I just checked the basement to get the name and I can't find it right now. Check with the store where you got your supplies. It is only absolutely necessary when you will be casting multiple pieces from the same mold.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Personally, I wouldn't have used latex with resin but if you only need a few then maybe OK. It's not very resistent to chemicals generally and not self releasing should your release agent fail. There is a reason that 99% of people use silicone.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
Dakota_in_the_sky

Post by Dakota_in_the_sky »

For little jobs I like to use Pam cooking spray dabbed on with a cotton swab.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Smooth-on has a release called ease release 200
Great stuff...a can will last a looooong time.

You could use the "old school" release....vaseline thinned a bit with naptha.
Works every time.

OT...I've heard a rumor ( not tested yet) that Coca-Cola or Pepsi will wash off the vaseline. If you're feeling experimental...give it a try and give us all a report on how it works....OK?