Which clear coat?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

Which clear coat?

Post by darth_daniel »

Hey everyone,
I´ve got the following problem: I painted my 3 FM Y-Wings with Tamiya acrylic paint on acrylic primer, and next will follow a glossy clear coat to seal everything and prepare the cockpit section for the decals (I´ll only use the yellow decals on the head, everything else is paint). What kind of clear coat should I use, if I want to apply some oil washes afterwards? Would an acrylic coat be better because the oil color thinner won´t react with it, or will the enamel coat be tougher? Or should I use acrylic paint for the washes, if that´s possible?
Many thanks in advance for a reply! :) Pics will be posted in the SW section of the forums when the ships will be finished, for anyone interested.
mech

Post by mech »

I've used Testors and Krylon with tamiya with no ill effects. Far as your wash goes, the best left to the more skilled here.

fwiw
j
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You'll want an acrylic clear coat like Future.
Abolish Alliteration
Gunnie

Post by Gunnie »

I use Polly Scale Gloss with much success. It is acrylic, good for your purposes...
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Will a microscale gloss clear coat work as well?
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

Yes it will.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

If a guy doesn't have an air brush, what GOOD alternative is there for applying future to a large model ? :?:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
One AM

Post by One AM »

I'm interested in applying Future without an airbrush too, because I'm at college, and a dorm room is not the best place for airbrushing.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I have dipped clear parts in future, but, for things like my polar lights jupiter 2 http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=548
a wide brush looks ? like it may work but i want to be absolutly sure. I wonder id an empty, clean windex type spray bottle filled with future would work, or is it too thick to spray like that ? anyone have an answer for that ? :?: :idea:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Wow, I've never considered an atomizer bottle. I think some of the ones you can buy at the store might work. The ones with the adjustable nozzle and trigger. It's worth some experimenting, I think. You'd have to be VERY careful to avoid streaks.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I was windexing my windshield and i sprayed a big area and thought about the future idea but haven't tried it yet. If you mist it on until it covers an area it might go on in light coats without running. I wonder if it will mist on without spotting ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER