2500th scale puttying and sanding

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

2500th scale puttying and sanding

Post by Digger1 »

I'm trying to putty and sand the 2500th scale Enterprise-C and -E but there are a lot of lines, windows and tiny raised lines that I'd like to preserve.

I guess my question is obvious: How do you do it correctly without damaging the fine detail in the plastic?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Best way I know is to use masking tape to cover the detail you want to preserve.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
mech

Post by mech »

I used an extremely small amount of putty, applied with a small spatula to limit the spread across the models. Then a small peice of sp to smooth it over. It seemed to work effectively.

j
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

The best method I've found is to lay strips of masking tape to both edges of the seam you are trying to fill. Lay down a thin layer of putty, then smooth it out with a spatula. I use those fake plastic "credit cards" that come in the junk mail. Carefully peel the tape up while the putty is still wet. You'll be left with narrow strip of putty which should be easy to sand with fine grit paper or sanding sticks.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Two ways:

Apply blessed Aves as a paste thinned with dnatured alcohol, 90-percent isopropyl alcohol, or tap water. Use a brush to apply and to remove the excess before it dries. With some practice and patience, you wont have to sand at all.

Apply cursed Bondo to the area. Remove excess with a cotton swab dipped in Acetone-containing nail-polish remover (NOT PURE ACETONE!!!). Make sure to dab the swab once or twice on a towel so it doesn't just obliterate the putty.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Mr. Surfacer can be removed and smoothed with a cotton swab and alcohol. It will not destroy detail. it may take numerous applications.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati