Mr. Surfacer 1200 Problems

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

One AM

Mr. Surfacer 1200 Problems

Post by One AM »

A month ago I ordered two bottles of Mr. Surfacer 1200 and some Mr. Color thinner from GreatModels web store. Due to perhaps an overabundance of caution my first model (PL D7) has taken quite awhile to get anywhere, but now I'm beginning to think about primering it.

The problem is that when I opened the first of my two bottles I found a hard layer on the top which I could not push through with a toothpick. When I shake it I can tell that there is liquid beneath, but I'd estimate that half the bottle has hardened. I have never opened the bottle up to now. Is there anything that I can do about this to recover the product?

The other Mr. Surfacer has had some of its contents leak out the side, and as a result I cannot twist it open. Is there any kind of solvent or substance that I can use to get it open? When I shake it it sounds entirely liquid inside, so I have hopes for this bottle.

Also, on a related note, how good is GreatModels in providing replacements when things like this happen?

EDIT: While painting is "Finishing," apparently primering is "Construction." Sorry about putting the thread in the wrong place.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd ask for replacements. I've got bottles that are years old and while they're thicker (thinned with some Mr. Leveling Thinner to get them back to norm) I've never had a bottle harden up on the surface like that.

But, just to be sure, there is usually a plastic safety cap under the metal one which can take some work to pop out.

Plain old Laquer Thinner might help loosen the cap. Hot water may help or rapping the jar lid (flat) onto a hard surface can also pop the paint apart.
Abolish Alliteration
One AM

Post by One AM »

Kylwell wrote:But, just to be sure, there is usually a plastic safety cap under the metal one which can take some work to pop out.
I feel foolish now. That was it. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I entirely missed it! And thanks for the advice on the other jar (which really does have that problem!). I'll give those methods a try.