best way to remove decals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Zatchmo

best way to remove decals?

Post by Zatchmo »

hello all,

i have a few models in the closet that i finished some years ago when i was younger, and i would like to redo them. What is the best way to remove decals that have sprayed over with a flat coat?

thanks
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

that's a toughie since it's already been sealed.

My advise would be, albeit the hard way, is to strip and re-paint then reapply the new decals.
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: best way to remove decals?

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Zatchmo wrote:hello all,

i have a few models in the closet that i finished some years ago when i was younger, and i would like to redo them. What is the best way to remove decals that have sprayed over with a flat coat?

thanks
Apply a VERY hot rag. Take a wet dishtowel, place it in the microwave. Apply it to the decaled area. Apply it ONLY to the area, as you run the risk of warping the model. Incidentally, wet paper towels work great as you can really fold them and better target the area. The decal should soften up and allow it to be peeled off topcoat and all.

Another great option is plastic shipping tape. Lightly sand the decaled area, clean the sanding residue away, and apply the tape. Let it set up for a while and rip it up. WHAMMO! You have a decal Brazilian wax. :D

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

I like the Bikini Wax :D method metioned above. Since the top coat of clear shouldn't have worked through the decal (barrier) you can often just 'peel' it away and then feather in (sand) the resulting paint edges and if all else is well, retopcoat (paint). But if everything else is already kinda 'thick' you'd be better off with the unenviable task of stripping it down. :cry:

Good luck in resurrecting your model/s.
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

whatever you soak the models in to remove the paint should be able to remove decals as well. Thats my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Normal?? What is normal??
Zatchmo

Post by Zatchmo »

thanks guys, can't wait to try these out
CaptainHawk1

Re: best way to remove decals?

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Zatchmo wrote:hello all,

thanks
Apply a VERY hot rag. Take a wet dishtowel, place it in the microwave. Apply it to the decaled area. Apply it ONLY to the area, as you run the risk of warping the model. Incidentally, wet paper towels work great as you can really fold them and better target the area. The decal should soften up and allow it to be peeled off topcoat and all.

Another great option is plastic shipping tape. Lightly sand the decaled area, clean the sanding residue away, and apply the tape. Let it set up for a while and rip it up. WHAMMO! You have a decal Brazilian wax. :D

I hope this helps.

Kenny
I do this as well but becareful if your model is clear coated with Future first as it's going to take that off as well. If you remove them and reare going to reapply other ones you're probably going to want to seal it again.

-Shawn :smoke: