Honda Titanium colormatching?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Butters

Honda Titanium colormatching?

Post by Butters »

Longshot here; I am repainting a 1:6 scale Motomax Goldwing Model as a gift, and I have an issue. The color I'm trying to replicate is Hondas Titanium.

For those that can read such things, here is the actual paint code:

GL18006
Color Y-181P
Code Y181

Unfortunately, I cannot use the actual paint. I'd love to have some and shoot that, but I can't. Now, I do have two colors I consider quite close; Tamiya Gunmetal and Tamiya Light Gunmetal. Light Gunmetal seems too light, but I don't have access to the real bike to color match.

Does anyone know, or have any insight how the above code matches either one of these two Tamiya colors?
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
scifi58

Post by scifi58 »

Can't you get a small bottle of touch up paint from the dealer? Automotive laquer is potent so don't spray it on bare plastic.

LG Johnson
"One, two, five..." "Three, sir." "Three lock box."
Butters

Post by Butters »

scifi58 wrote:Can't you get a small bottle of touch up paint from the dealer? Automotive laquer is potent so don't spray it on bare plastic.

LG Johnson
In theory. The dealer is 40 miles away, open only while I'm at work, and not open Sundays, my only free day. Yes, I could order it online, but not in time for my deadline.

Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Did you have a look at the Tamiya Titanium Gold and Silver colours?
Those paints were formulated to match the Honda GP Bikes.
Butters

Post by Butters »

Zen-Builder wrote:Did you have a look at the Tamiya Titanium Gold and Silver colours?
Those paints were formulated to match the Honda GP Bikes.
My 'local' hobby shop carries a limited supply of Tamiya bottle paints, closest he had was Gunmetal and Light Gunmetal, in spray cans. Said I could order other colors, but only if I bought six! He wont order individuals; says they won't sell. :evil: