Flasher Board adaptation advice?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

SpaceDuck

Flasher Board adaptation advice?

Post by SpaceDuck »

HiYa,
Working on a lil project and I'd like to use the flasher board described at http://www.virtualight.com/index.html?/ ... TOS/1.html but I'd prefer to run it with only 4.5 volts since that's a nice size battery pack to fit in my base. Can a "knowledgable" (obviously not me) member tell me what component values I'd need to change: Resistor values, capacitor?

Oh, and a real basic question: Cap polarity? Once the "long lead" has been clipped off :? , I can see a black stripe running up one side in line with a lead, is that to be 'ground', or negative?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: I did see the reference to 4.5- 15V on input but I want to be real sure since other text idicates a higher value than 4.5????
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

This is a 556 chip, so it will probably run okay on 4.5 volts. No modifications should be necessary.
On a capacitor, the side with the stripe is usually negative. They usually print the polarity on the plastic sleeve covering the capacitor.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

jwrjr wrote:This is a 556 chip, so it will probably run okay on 4.5 volts. No modifications should be necessary.
On a capacitor, the side with the stripe is usually negative. They usually print the polarity on the plastic sleeve covering the capacitor.
On that site she used a 556 for another project but the flasher board * used the 'smaller and more basic 555', which I've purchased. I assume I should be okay though with the stated component values? The blue plastic cap sleeve lacked polarity indicators but did have a black "stripe", which again, I assumed, is negative.

Thanks for the quick reply!
*http://www.virtualight.com/index.html?/ ... TOS/1.html page three, another link opens a window to the nav flasher only function.
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

A 556 is just 2 555s in a single package, so there should still be no problems. I would use a single-chip computer (It actually costs less), but not everybody wants to go that way.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

jwrjr wrote:A 556 is just 2 555s in a single package, so there should still be no problems. I would use a single-chip computer (It actually costs less), but not everybody wants to go that way.
Okay,
But do I know "what that is" and is there an idiot proof schematic available? BTW: I'll hire the idiot since I'd still muckitup! :D
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

Single-chip computers are nice because you don't have to change component values ... just a few lines of code. A flasher that runs on 4.5 volts would have 2 parts - The controller and 1 transistor (the battery pack, leds, and led resistors would be separate). The timing would be controlled by the programming and would never significantly drift. If you really want a wiring diagram I'll draw one and send it.
Is the schematic 'idiot proof'? No surface-mount parts and only 2 parts total. It would depend on the idiot in question.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

jwrjr wrote:Single-chip computers are nice because you don't have to change component values ... just a few lines of code. A flasher that runs on 4.5 volts would have 2 parts - The controller and 1 transistor (the battery pack, leds, and led resistors would be separate). The timing would be controlled by the programming and would never significantly drift. If you really want a wiring diagram I'll draw one and send it.
Is the schematic 'idiot proof'? No surface-mount parts and only 2 parts total. It would depend on the idiot in question.
I hesitate when I read about writing code: how would I interface with the chip for instance? While I did some code writing way back in the day it sounds like something that someone would have to invest way too much time with this idiot, me, to explain. Otherwise I'm always open to new ideas!
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The easiest way is to get somebody familiar with writing code ... like me ... to do it. It is worth the effort to learn how to do it yourself if you want to do it more than once.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

jwrjr wrote:The easiest way is to get somebody familiar with writing code ... like me ... to do it. It is worth the effort to learn how to do it yourself if you want to do it more than once.
That sounds like a possible offer? You may regret that when I tackle a more ambitious project!

I've now built a flasher board with all the help I received right here!

Thank you everyone,
Don
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

Exotic lighting controls based on single-chip computers is what I do. Some think that I make the best NX nacelle module around (video available). So let your imagination run wild. It is expensive only if you want exclusive use of a design.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

jwrjr wrote:Exotic lighting controls based on single-chip computers is what I do. Some think that I make the best NX nacelle module around (video available). So let your imagination run wild. It is expensive only if you want exclusive use of a design.
I'm cutting my teeth on lighting this project but hope to eventually learn enough (well, I'll have to) to do justice to larger scale subjects where the more "exotic" techniques are better showcased. Perhaps you can post a link or let me know where I can see what you're describing? Future projects will include 1/350th NX-01s and the 'Refit' along with the usual fare of Enterprise in 1/1400th versions C, D and E (that actually belong to my sons but I'm assuming I'll help some) and the popular things that Trek modelers have in their stashes. I've simply been waiting to do them justice?
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

Odd as it may seem, I don't have a website. I do have short videos of many of the effects that I have created, and will email them to anybody who asks. The only part that I will NOT share is the programming. And I do 'read-protect' any chips that I send out.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

jwrjr wrote:Odd as it may seem, I don't have a website. I do have short videos of many of the effects that I have created, and will email them to anybody who asks. The only part that I will NOT share is the programming. And I do 'read-protect' any chips that I send out.

OOOOH,
Well, I finally found a shop that just moved into town so I can actually get what some folks take for granted and with access to some basic LEDs and such now I'd love to see what your programmed chips can do!

I'll PM you and understand your "terms".