Grrrr...Silver is my new nemesis

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bob242

Grrrr...Silver is my new nemesis

Post by bob242 »

Can't find a good silver. Seems that most of the ones I've tried come off very easy (or dull) when I need to handle them during final assembly and most of them HATE any kind of top coat.

What is a good metallic silver that I can actually handle long enough to glue into place and seal with out it graying on me? :evil:
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I need a silver that I can paint over with other colors, then mask, and paint more colors, and not have the masks rip up the paint. I had that problem happen last night. The paint I put on over the silver came off with little difficulty. :evil:
Thomas E. Johnson
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Testors Spray Enamel #1246 Silver. This goes on very nice and smooth. I have not had any trouble with this paint. I use he 84g rattle can too. And it takes a top/clear coat no problem. I use, of course, Testors Spray Enamel #1814 Gloss Clear.

As for painting over it... Just about ANY silver paint will need a top coat before masking od any kind. Lay down your silver and lewt it fully cure. Top coat it with the clear of your choice (gloss/satin/flat), and again, allow to fully cure. Then, mask away, and you will have no troubles.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Thanks John. :D
Thomas E. Johnson
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

bare-metal, alclad, testors' metalizer...
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Use a low tack masking tape as well. Or something like parafilm.

Woolworths (of all people) used to sell a rattlecan of silver that went on smooth and hard. Never had any problems with it subbing, tarnishing or lifting.

Can't recall who made it and of course I chucked the last can I had only to find there was nothing similar at my local store.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
bob242

Post by bob242 »

Haven't found good source for Alclad or even the Testors Metalizer. It's weird around here with hobby supplies...very similar to an outlet mall were inventory is just random and disturbing.

Might try the Testors enamel, but enamel makes me nervous. Makes me recall my childhood with big gobby chunks of paint and sticky brushes that never came clean. I know it's a rattle can, but still, enamel scarred me early. :wink:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Gunze Gundam Plated Silver Merker.

or Alclad II. Polished Aluminum has become a fav but you've got to have an AB to use it.
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I like Floquil Bright Silver.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... -51001.jpg

I primed this P-51 with Testor's Gloss Black enamel, thinned about 70% with lacquer thinner. After drying a few days, I sprayed Bright Silver, thinned again about 70% with lacquer thinner. As you can see the finish is shiny and tough.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... y/b022.jpg

I was able to use low tack tape to mask and spray the olive drab camo, and the invasion stripes. One small patch of O.D. needed to be re-sprayed, but the silver stayed put.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

bob242 wrote:Haven't found good source for Alclad or even the Testors Metalizer. It's weird around here with hobby supplies...very similar to an outlet mall were inventory is just random and disturbing.

Might try the Testors enamel, but enamel makes me nervous. Makes me recall my childhood with big gobby chunks of paint and sticky brushes that never came clean. I know it's a rattle can, but still, enamel scarred me early. :wink:
Then you're in luck, Metalizers are lacquer. They're also quite fragile.

Alclad is your best bet. Use a good primer beneath, shiny for chrome. Tamiya's black works fine, as does Gunze-Sangyo 1000 rattlecan.

And you're in luck - Hannant's carries Alclad.
They make several shades of aluminum, and the chrome silver is astonishing. It's pretty hard, and a bit if future with a bit of India Ink will give it some definition if you need.

www.hannants.co.uk
Don't go dropping too much money there!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati