brush on chrome or near-chrome finish

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kalamadea

brush on chrome or near-chrome finish

Post by Kalamadea »

I've been trying to find a paint that you can brush on that creates a chrome finish, or as near to one as possible. I know there are airbrush effects like alclad II and some spray paint brands have similar effects, but I'm trying to find a brush on version, hopefully acrylic or enamel based, that won't fill in all the details.
Tony Agustin

Re: brush on chrome or near-chrome finish

Post by Tony Agustin »

Kalamadea wrote:I've been trying to find a paint that you can brush on that creates a chrome finish, or as near to one as possible. I know there are airbrush effects like alclad II and some spray paint brands have similar effects, but I'm trying to find a brush on version, hopefully acrylic or enamel based, that won't fill in all the details.
You could always brush on Alclad II and see how that works. I've never tried it with a paint brush but it might do the trick in small applications.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The best I've used, and this is for small areas - not broad coverage - is Testor's Enamel Model Master Chrome Silver. Flow it on, keep it well-mixed while you're using it, and make sure to topcoat it with Future or something because it likely will remain sticky.

But I use it all the time for formation lights and such, it will take a mirror finish - or nearly so. Seal it with clear red, green, orange for wingtip and formation lights, then coat with Future if you want to depict very nice colored glass.

It brushes well, and if you need to put a second coat on, it takes that very well.

Oh yeah, use a soft brush.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

Look for chrome nail polish. This was recently discussed on a motorcycle forum I hang out on. Guys are using it to touch up real chrome on their bikes - if it works there, should work on a model.

Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Also, you can get a Chrome Silver Gundam Marker...it's excellent.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ditto on the Gundam Plated Silver marker. Stunning effects. Can be let out of the pen abd brushed on/in as needed.
Abolish Alliteration