Weathering decals....

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

redfinger

Weathering decals....

Post by redfinger »

Ok how do I make my decals look weathered!! I assume after I future everything I can then "weather" them, but what about making them looked chipped? would I do that prior to putting the decal on, or after it has come off?

Additionally, when I decal covers a panel line, how do you handle the weathering of said panel line?

The subject in question is the Fast Pack version of the Veritech fighter.....it is nearing completion!!!

Pics soon!

Ashton
suwalski

Re: Weathering decals....

Post by suwalski »

redfinger wrote:Additionally, when I decal covers a panel line, how do you handle the weathering of said panel line?
If use use a decal setting solution, the decal will follow the panel line perfectly and you should not have any difficulty weathering it.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Assuming the decal lays in the panel line, I hit the panel line with a pastel wash or an India Ink wash. See the "washes thread" in this forum for the method's particulars.

AFter this is done, I give the model a good flat coat. I post shade with artists pastels. Of course, the choice in pastel colors over decals is dependent upon the color of the decal; it needs to be subtle when postshading along panel lines.

I hope this helps. Ask away if you have more questions.

Kenny

P.S. One more thing. Mix in a little white glue with your decal water. Add just enough to make the water look milky.

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I chip my decals after they are on the model, but before I put the clear gloss coat over them. Then I do most of the weathering on the model after all the decals are on. A lot of the weathering I do is by using a filter made by adding a tiny gob of oil paint mixed in with several drops of clear flat lacquer. White, green, or brown oil, depending on the area I'm painting. Build it up in thin layers until it starts to discolor the surface. The nice thing about this is that it goes on equally well over decals and markings, paint chips, etc, pulling everything together so thay all look like they were weathered at the same rate.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'll chip them on or off the model.

If you're really gentle you can use a hobby knife to carefully remove the ink from the gelatin base while the deccal is stil dry on the paper. If luck is with you and you haven't removed too much material the decal will stay together when soaked.

You know, it just dawned on me, if you scrape it a bit with a hobby knife and then apply some liquid decal film to it after you don't even need luck on you side.

I'll have to try that.

Or, as others have said, place it on the model then carefully pick the film off.
Abolish Alliteration
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

I had pretty good luck with using sandpaper very gently to get a chipped effect after I had applied them to the model.
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."