Mr. Surfacer Question: Cure time?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

Mr. Surfacer Question: Cure time?

Post by justcrash »

How long does Mr. Surfacer need to set up? In other words, how long do I need to wait to add my primer coat (I am using the 500 for some gap filing). Also, do I just smooth it over with water and a brush?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You'll need to use laquer thinner to smooth it.

Set up time for the 500 is a bit longer than the other primers due to it's thickness. For a big glop it takes a few hours. The thinner the coat the faster it'll dry.
Abolish Alliteration
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Kylwellâ„¢ wrote:You'll need to use laquer thinner to smooth it.

Set up time for the 500 is a bit longer than the other primers due to it's thickness. For a big glop it takes a few hours. The thinner the coat the faster it'll dry.
Interesting. How will I know when I can procede? :?:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well, you can just wait overnight to make sure (I've had to do this when I glopped on too much) or gently press with a fingernail or something to see if it leaves a mark. Mr Surfacer is pretty hard when fully cured so if you can dent it, it's not done yet.
Abolish Alliteration
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Kylwellâ„¢ wrote:Well, you can just wait overnight to make sure (I've had to do this when I glopped on too much) or gently press with a fingernail or something to see if it leaves a mark. Mr Surfacer is pretty hard when fully cured so if you can dent it, it's not done yet.
Makes sense! Thank you! :)