motorized propellers

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DOMENECH1776

motorized propellers

Post by DOMENECH1776 »

Someone from the Sky Galleon of Mars discussion yahoo group is starting a Victorian Science Fiction airship and is trying to get info on motorizing the counter screw propellers. With possibly making the engine mounts move 180 degrees as well. Has anyone done somthing similar or know of any links to find more info to help?

Thank you.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Old dental drills.. (taken apart and machined to fit brass tubing)
Disposable dental drills...
Electric tooth brushes occillate(go back and forth) but is it really going to fly?

Graupner RC boats sells a small Schottel Z drive, but it runs about 70-80 bucks. I geared mine to turn 270 degrees. Also, the Shaft length is limited.
See the bottom of this page...
http://www.harbormodels.com/Harbormain/ ... motors.htm

Finding good 45° beveled gears can be tough, and expensive.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=613
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Wild suggestion: those teeny motors supposedly used in pagers to make them vibrate. The smallest ones fit into tiny spaces, or simply mount the entire mota on the top of a T mount sticking out of the side of the hull.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

En'til Zog wrote:Wild suggestion: those teeny motors supposedly used in pagers to make them vibrate. The smallest ones fit into tiny spaces, or simply mount the entire mota on the top of a T mount sticking out of the side of the hull.
Doh...., And then there is the simple way to do it....

:D :D :D
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

...where the heck would i get my hands on some of those?

i would love to be able to animate a few little projects i've got going...

ok... well... projects i've got... kinda half planned in my head... heh.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

I believe I've seen those tiny cellphone/pager motors for sale in the Jameco catalog. I'm sure that other electrical component vendors would have them.
"Dogs and cats, living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!"
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

They can be found online (Found a great link with tons of online suppliers: here), in old Nokia phones (their defunct 5100/5200 series had the vibracall motor placed inside the battery pack – the kind which was the full backside of the phone – so after the batteries are gone for good, the little motor's still there), in micro-sized RC toy cars (the ones about the size of a HotWheels car – same thing: the batteries will eventually go poof, so the car's there to be picked clean).

Just the motors!!
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Arklan

Post by Arklan »

oooo... beautiful... probably weak as heck, but plenty capable of moving small bits of plastic, i'm sure. :D

thanks.
I don't make the rules. I just poke holes in them for my own benefit. - Arklan Uth Oslin

You know it's been a long day when you start singing parodies of Ricard Wagner operas. Kill the Red team, kill the Red Team... - Arklan Uth Oslin