Pin holes in resin

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Devin

Pin holes in resin

Post by Devin »

I've got a model that has tons of tiny pin holes. Tons of them. Every time I prime and sand an area it doesn't totally fill in everything, and then the sanding reveals more of them.

Any recommendations? This is a long and featureless piece of resin (a 23" long ironclad monitor deck) that I could just sheet over with styrene and be done with it, but I'd like to find a way around these holes.

Thanks,

Devin
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
suwalski

Post by suwalski »

You might want to Try Mr. Hobby's Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000. It should fill them in nicely and give you a good finish.
Devin

Post by Devin »

Thanks. That's actually what I've been using. Spot filling big gaps with 500, then brushing and airbrushing the 1000 overall. Some of the holes just defy being filled, though. I'm starting to think they have mold release agent inside of them that the initial cleaning with Bleech White and lacquer thinner did not remove.

-Devin
-Professor Farnsworth
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Devin,

It sounds like you're most of the way to a solution. Apply the Mr. Surfacer and let it dry. If you see any new pinholes, fill them with more Mr. Surfacer. Let it dry.

Sanding opens more pinholes and might leave your part out of shape. Remove the Mr. Surfacer by wiping it with 91 % or 99% isopropyl alcohol. Regular 70% rubbing alcohol isn't strong enough.

For big open areas, pour some alcohol on a coffee filter and wipe. This removes the Mr. Surfacer from surface but leaves it in the pinholes. You'll probably need to repeat the process for bad areas. Q-Tips can wipe around details.

Eventually this should fill most but not all the pinholes. If there's mold release in the holes, you need to get it out. Open up pinholes that are too small. Use your favorite putty on holes that are too large.

Who manufactured that wormy piece of resin?

Let us know if this helps.

Mike
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

nominate for sticky, please.

All in favor?
Devin

Post by Devin »

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been doing a little of what you suggested, and a little of just building up the coats. It's at the point of saturation now so that even if the Mr. Surfacer shows pock marks where the holes are, a little surface sanding smooths it all out.

I didn't know the coffee filter trick. Very cool.

The resin is an OLD kit from Old Steam Navy of the USS Weehawken, a Civil War monitor. I snagged it on eBay last year for less than half price. Since this casting he's upgraded nearly everything in the kit so these airbubbles shouldn't be an issue with current kits. Other than this issue, it's an impressive model and a lot of fun to work on.

-Devin
-Professor Farnsworth
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It's pretty much covered in the other thread, but Surfacer should not be fully sanded down to the material beneath it. What you want is a smooth surface of surfacer, not using it like a filler you're accustomed to.

Does this make sense? The alcohol trick works great, but for a truly flat surface I rely on a rigid sanding stick. Usually a fairly fine one.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Devin

Post by Devin »

That's what I figured out for myself over the weekend: spray it on, sand it smooth as possible with a wet fine grade, repeat MULTIPLE times. I've got it looking pretty good now. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

-Devin
-Professor Farnsworth