2oz. acrylic craft paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

2oz. acrylic craft paints

Post by Digger1 »

Okay, so what do you have to do to thin this stuff? Right now, it's 70% alcohol, 30% paint and it's still yogurt thick.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I did a test a few months ago using Apple Barrel brand and Future as a thinner. It actually ran quite well throught the airbrush. I didn't try brushing with the mix but you could toy with it.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I find an 80% future 20% paint mix using those brands gives awesome results.
Thomas E. Johnson
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The Americana brand is the thickest I ever tried and no if you ask someone at the craft store they would probably tell you to make it about the consistancy of milk.
Normal?? What is normal??
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I've found Delta brand to be the thickest, Apple Barrel the thinnnest. The consistency of milk is a good rule for thinning any paint for airbrushing. The important thing here is to test on a scrap piece of plastic or old model. Its cheap enough to do this, not like Tamiya, Gunze, etc.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Y'know it never even occured to me to use Future as a thinner.

-Shawn :smoke:
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Mike,

Thin with Future. Only use Apple Barrel as the other stuff's pigment is too large. Like most acrylics, strain through pantyhose if you want.

I have great results with the stuff and am literally using it as I write this. Just don't go overboard with the Future and get it too thin.

Hope this helps.

Kenny

EDIT: Here's a thread where we discuss this:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... hp?t=37020

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Thomas E. Johnson

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:Mike,

Thin with Future. Only use Apple Barrel as the other stuff's pigment is too large. Like most acrylics, strain through pantyhose if you want.
I use Delta Cerema-Coat paints, Americana, American Traditions, Liqitex, all thinned with future and have never had a problem.
Thomas E. Johnson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:

I use Delta Cerema-Coat paints, Americana, American Traditions, Liqitex, all thinned with future and have never had a problem.
In my experiments with DC versus Apple Barrel shot through a Paasche VL, the DC pigments clumped very badly around the fine and heavy flow needle/nozzle combinations. It could have been my airbrush, though.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Thomas E. Johnson

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:

In my experiments with DC versus Apple Barrel shot through a Paasche VL, the DC pigments clumped very badly around the fine and heavy flow needle/nozzle combinations. It could have been my airbrush, though.

Kenny
I use an Aztec 7888 with the white and black Acrylic nozzels, and it always works fine. I've heard of others spraying these paints with external mix airbrushes also.
Thomas E. Johnson