Is brighter better?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Kun2112

Is brighter better?

Post by Kun2112 »

When lighting interiors, is brighter always better? Some models I have seen online, while unlit pull off the illusion spectacularly, but with lights on seem like, well a model...and I say this meaning no disrespect to individuals whose talent far surpasses my own. :bow: :bow: :bow:

What are the advantages of using say...6000mCd LEDs versus 1800mCd or less powerful LEDs? Are the "bright spots" I see just oversaturation in the camera? :oops: Am I just trying to over-complicate a simple subject?

Anyone? Buller?
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The advantage of using brighter leds is that you can run them at less current and get the same amount of light, or just use fewer leds. This is easier on the power supply (very important if you are using batteries).
Fluke

Post by Fluke »

I like to start with bright that way you can control the direction and brightness with defusing methods.

I like to use soft White (true white) led's then defuse or tint as needed.
How do you know if I'm not a Cylon and I havn't seen you at any of the meetings?
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Brighter LEDs use the same current as dim ones so yes, brighter is better. If you're trying to drive light into the ends of fibers, a narrow viewing angle is better, heck a laser is best.

No need to bow down, one day you'll be answering questions for newbies like an old pro too!
:bravo:
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

jwrjr wrote:The advantage of using brighter leds is that you can run them at less current and get the same amount of light, or just use fewer leds. This is easier on the power supply (very important if you are using batteries).
If you use fewer LEDs, you may get the "bright spots" Kun refers to. Apparently, if someone uses four high brightness LEDs to light the interior of a model (Say the primary hull of an Ent-D), these high brightness spots will be noticeable as a distinct pattern of brighter-than-average windows.

So, my answer would be go with more LEDs (If, as stated here, high brightness LEDs draw as much "juice" as common LEDs, going with more of them would mean the same net draw as using more common LEDs, so...). However, some "high brightness" LEDs are just LEDs with a narrower "beam", meaning that the light output is the same, just focused on a tighter spot. Those will not help much if you are trying to spread light all over the interior of a model.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Here's another tip if your lighting windows, don't put the LED or cluster of LEDs too close to the windows (like a Refit saucer). Move them back, this will also help eliminate "bright spots"
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

IMO, I have seen models that were too bright, i.e. unrealistic.
They looked like someone positioned a huge halogen light in each window.

I think lighting effects can be overdone.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Of course, the ideal solution would be to put a single white LED behind each window (or rather each "room"), and a tiny light box around it, each of those with a slightly different tinted gel, from the stark white of a galley or sickbay to a mood setting dim, warm light of Counsellor Troi's quarters to the swingin' disco lights on Will Riker's bachelor pad. Yep. Each one of 'em driven separately, to mimic a ship's day/night shifts.

Now let's wake up, people... In reality, just a gentle light from the windows is more than enough.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.