Spray can paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Spray can paint

Post by starmanmm »

I have heard that some people will spray the paint, be it color or primer, into a container and then pour that into their AB to spray.

My question is... I know your spray it thru a straw and into the container, but isn't that a bit messy? Meaning... does it really work?
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

I wear latex ( :wink: ) gloves and simply spray into a paper cup, pour into bottle.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

I spray into a funnel....and YES wear a latex glove.

Or take the nozzle off a can of WD40....you know the ones with the straw built into it..and replace the paint can nozzle with the WD40 nozzle. Only works on the cans that have a removable nozzle though.
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Like the idea of the wd nozzle!

I would like to try this...in regards to Krylon primers. So I thought to ask here first.
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

I take the can outside, turn it upside down, and spray out all the propellant. Once I'm sure it's all gone I use a can opener, cut out the bottom of the can, and pour the paint into a bottle for storage.

I remember as a kid my father hanging a spray can over a bucket, shooting a hole in the can to puncture it, and trying to catch the paint. He was definitly a Darwin Award candidate...
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Make sure you let the paint rest for a bit to outgas before using it.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

He was definitly a Darwin Award candidate...
:ptl:

He said Darwin.

Ok, now, I figure that it would be pretty tough to cut the bottom of the can with a can opener? I like the idea and if you hadn't said that you have done this... I would question if it was possible at all? :holmes:
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

It's quite easy to cut the bottom out. Use an old fashioned, manual can opener like those on a Leatherman/Gerber multi tool, or an old military P-38. Be sure you get all the propellant out first. I normally put an old towel over the operation, between my face and the can, just to be sure.

It really is simple. I used to do it all the time when the "local" shops here refused to stock Dullcoat in a bottle, only in cans.
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette