Hard, hallow sphere source for base?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Morty Seinfeld

Hard, hallow sphere source for base?

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

Does anyone know where I could find a suitable hallow sphere that I could cut in half and use for a base? I've looked around at Michaels' but didn't see anything close.
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
ModlrMike

Post by ModlrMike »

Try a hamster ball from a pet store. They are made out of styrene and you should be able to separate them at the main seam.
Regards...
Michael
Species5618

Post by Species5618 »

"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." — John Wayne
Alvis 3.1

Post by Alvis 3.1 »

How large? Some craft stores carry hollow plastic spheres for craft purposes, which are two halves that fit together. Maximum size I've ever seen in those is maybe a 4 inch diameter, maybe 5".

Larger than that, the hamster ball is a good option, although is often made of a polypropolene type plastic..tough, but nigh unglueable! Also, I came across some decorative salad bowls that you could put beads or other little items in as decorative options, they were clear with little pockets inside. Half a sphere shaped they were too, and about a foot, 16" across.

Hanging lamp covers also may be an option. Check out a lighting supply department.

HTH;
Alvis 3.1
Morty Seinfeld

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

thanks for those suggestions, I'll check 'em out.
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Some old CRT computer monitors have a nice dome (but not quite a hemisphere) built into the base, usually 6 to 10" around. And ABS plastic too!
Andrew