Model symetry: Techniques

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mech

Model symetry: Techniques

Post by mech »

Hello gents, I am working on a couple kitbashes. They are the first and second attempts at using various products to contour the added features into the main body of the subjects.

Being inexperienced at this, I would like some pointers, techniques etc. to acheive a semetrical look as I want them to look right.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

j
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I'm interested in this too.

I've tried those metal brush like gadgets (don't remember what the official name is) that you can push down onto a model surface and the metal rods move to record the contours - and then transfer that to a plan etc and I've tried the old mirror image trick of sketching half the design and flipping it over to ensure the other half matches, but I still end up with obvious disparity especially when comparing left and right along the long axis of a model.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

jsnmech,
Are you adding new details to each side of the form and need pointers on getting them symmetrical so it doesn't look lop-sided, or are you blending new details into the existing form and want to know the best material to achieve a smooth transition?
mech

Post by mech »

Joseph Osborn wrote:jsnmech,
Are you adding new details to each side of the form and need pointers on getting them symmetrical so it doesn't look lop-sided, or are you blending new details into the existing form and want to know the best material to achieve a smooth transition?
Little bit of both. For bits and peices added to the hull in different positions, I will craft two peices at once, which gives me pretty good results.

I was asking about something like this. When doing something like adding a feature which should "blend" into the subject, what is the best method for keeping both sides even?

Being that this is an easy enough build, I have done alittle more than that picture shows. It looks relatively even, but, I see the irregularities.

BTW, sorry if the original post wasn't clear, I should have just included the damn picture in the first place. :oops:

j
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

.... I've tried those metal brush like gadgets (don't remember what the official name is)....
Contour gauges. Get a good quality one and they're very good.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Only thing I know is measure, measure, measure.

Contour guages, calipurs, vert height stand, dividers, you name it.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Once you have got a good set of plans to work from, the other thing you can do is trace and cut your own tempates from the plans then you can build an area up and sand it to shap using the template as a guage. Another trick for let's say sides that are an odd shape but the same from both sides is to use double sided tape to tape two pieces of styrene or whatever you are using together. Cut them out and sand them to shape while they are together.

Hope this helps,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

sand, check profile, sand, check profile, sand check profile....

Tedious and boring but it works.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

bluesman wrote:sand, check profile, sand, check profile, sand check profile....
Yeah, that's really the only way. This technique goes back to the stone age! I have to be in the right frame of mind to do this kind of work. If I'm the least bit feeling anxious I won't try to do do profile shaping and instead will try to do some research or computer graphics work (where I can un-do!).
dekesdragon

Post by dekesdragon »

it it helps in the template department...
I get one side correct, photocopy (this if doing by hand)
store original
create a middle line
fold
cutout
unfold
glue using a glue stick, to heavy card stock paper
cut again to final shape

if done in cad
get one side, mirror
printout
glue to card stock
and cut out final shape