MM Metalizer Paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

FilmmakerJWA

MM Metalizer Paints

Post by FilmmakerJWA »

Has anyone here ever used those Model Master Metalizer paints? They say it's for airbrush only... just want to get the basic idea of what they do, what they look like when painted, and if they're worth anything.

Thanks!!
Laters,
Jay Alexander
Marco Scheloske

Re: MM Metalizer Paints

Post by Marco Scheloske »

FilmmakerJWA wrote:Has anyone here ever used those Model Master Metalizer paints? They say it's for airbrush only... just want to get the basic idea of what they do, what they look like when painted, and if they're worth anything.

Thanks!!
You can handbrush them, but is is not easy )as they are veeery thin) and you won`t get a completely even surface. Airbrushing is highly recommended.

When you painted/airbrushed them they will dry very fast, creating a grey surface. Then comes the fun part: take a towel and begin to polish! They will become more and more shiny, and if you do it right the result will look like real metal.

I use them for small areas only, but I like them. And a bottle will last forever.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
FilmmakerJWA

Post by FilmmakerJWA »

Do they mix with other paints... say: MM Flat White?
Laters,
Jay Alexander
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Like Marco said, for larger areas it'll be hard to get an even coat. For small parts, you can brush it on. You'll end up with a different texture than if you airbrush it, but that can come in handy. Here's an example. The base aluminum coat is airbrushed, but the other metallic sections were hand painted.

I don't know if they mix well with other paints, since I mainly use acrylics. Probably not. You can mix metalizers together, though.

Frank
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Be careful handling the surface, as the Metalizers are quite fragile. They really do need to be sealed after airbrushing.

I like SnJ Metallizing finish. It works the same way although the color palette is a bit more limited. The finish, however is very rugged.

Aside from that, the Alclad II series of lacquers make a really nice metallic finish and the range is extensive.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

FilmmakerJWA wrote:Do they mix with other paints... say: MM Flat White?
You can mix Metalizers with Metalizers but not with other MM paints.

The buffable ones tend to have a nicer & heavier finish.
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Unlike some others here I've never had any luck hand painting with these. In any case they're designed to be used with the airbrush. They don't require any thinning, which is a nice change from other Model Master enamels. And they clean up very easily. They don't mix with other non metallizer enamels, but the color of the primer coat will have different effects on the final result. In other words, preshading. (Bluesman taught me that one).

I used to have problems with durability with buffing metallizers, but not so much any more. You can achieve a pretty durable finish by taking a few precautions. First, start with a smooth, satin or glossy primer coat, clean and free of defects. Like any metallic finish, it will highlight changes in surface finish like mad. In other words, spots where you've puttied your model will show up in the metallic finish clearly unless you polish the transition very smoothly. Sometimes it helps to paint on a couple coats of Future as a secondary primer coat, before airbrushing on the metallizer.

Like any other paint, apply it in thin layers. But with MM metallizers buff it between each coat. You don't have to wait very long for the paint to dry before buffing, maybe an hour. But the longer you wait, the better it will look once it is buffed. Let the last coat cure for a couple days and it will buff up beautifully, and yet it'll be fairly strong. Still, I finish with a coat of Future. It dulls down the shine just a little, but you'll be the only one who ever notices.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

First time I tried airbrushing magnesium metalizer on my Jupiter 2 it curdled the paint. I found out later it's designed to be sprayed on over bare plastic. If you spray it over primer without a barrier layer of acrylic in between it will probably curdle on you. I would recommend not using any primer or sealing with acrylic after applying the primer coat if you feel you must use primer.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Overall, I've had better luck with the Alclad paints recently. They're far more durable, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I mix my MM Metallizers with Krylon spraybomb paints sometimes to achieve rusty paints or dark versions of themselves. OTherwise, they don't play well with other hobby paints.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.