How to wire for automatic lights on/off?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Lonnie Sweet

How to wire for automatic lights on/off?

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

Can this be done? I want to wire a sensor in the base for a model which will turn the lights on or off with the room lights, as well I want a master switch which can turn the whole thing on, off or on sensor. I'm curious which parts are needed and if there are any diagrams or tutorials out there?
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
Slide

Post by Slide »

all you need is a photoelectric sensor. it's a little thing that looks like a tiny section of a solar pannel, and it activates depending on the light it picks up [generally it activates when light hits it]

spilce it into the circuit like a switch, and when the lights come on [or go off depending on the kind you get] the model will light up.

i used one in a class project once. i can't remember the exact name of what you're looking for, but if you happen to know an electrical engineer i'm sure he'll be able to tell you precicely what you're looking for. or if you luck out and find a knowledgable electronic bits salesman [haha, oxymoron] they may be able to help.
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

There are some circuits that will use the photo resistor to trip the on off function. You can do a search fro them if you cant find anything let me know I'll look through the circuit cook books I got and find one that matches what you need.

How much voltage and current does the photo circuit need to turn on and off.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Just use a nightlight circuit. You'll have to adapt it for the low voltages of your model, but that's nothing a voltage regulator can't handle.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!