wire wrap tool, How do you us it?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

starmanmm

wire wrap tool, How do you us it?

Post by starmanmm »

Never heard of a wire wrap tool before I just read about it briefly here! :oops:

So, someone educate me on how to use one and why having one is a great thing?

Thanks
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Ok, just did a google search, now I was wondering if you would use this tool to connect the wire to an led instead of sodering it?
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

starmanmm wrote:Ok, just did a google search, now I was wondering if you would use this tool to connect the wire to an led instead of sodering it?
Wirewrapping tools work by tightly squeezing wire-wrap wire against square wire-wrap posts. This produces a solid, gas-tight connection between the wire and the post that is about as good as soldering. The outside of the wire can tarnish, but I've unwrapped 20-30 year old wirewraps and the wire and post underneath are still bright and shiny.

You can wirewrap to an LED, but since round LED leads (and even the square ones) were not designed as wirewrap contacts, you won't get quite as good a mechanical contact, and you may still get a layer of oxide forming between the lead and the wire after a few years. If in doubt, just touch the wirewraped LED lead with a bit of solder (and a soldering iron, of course) and you'll get a strong and airtight mechanical connection.

Frank
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Thanks.

Was looking for another way of connecting the wire to an led.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

You know, there are some LED posts that are square(I know a good bit of the ones I have are square-leaded).
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!