What causes resin "beads"?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bob242

What causes resin "beads"?

Post by bob242 »

Not sure of the term, but I just got a model that has little balls all along the edges of the detail. They don't really feel attached in most cases as they just pop right off. Curious as to what causes this. :?:
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Air bubbles in the surface of the rubber mould getting filled with resin.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

Yep airbubbles in the mold causes them. They tend to show up more if you pressure cast. And mostly along a seam or on a sharp edge.
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
bob242

Post by bob242 »

Pain in the butt, they are. Does this reflect on the caster or is it just something unavoidable? We're talking about 75+ on a 14" piece.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

Sometimes they are unavoidable.....but form what you describe it sounds like they needed to de-air the rubber before pouring the mold.
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I saw these between a cuff and the leg/hand, it might mean they deaired the RTV then poured it on the mold, that narrow tight passage will tend to trap air ubbles in there as the RV attemps to flow in.

You have to deair the RTV/master after pouring the RTV. Brushing on a layer of RTV is probably more time consuming and error prone than just throwing the mold box/master/rtv into the pot and dearing it once more beofre setting it aside to cure.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

You don't necessarily need degassing chambers or pressure chambers if you brush the pattern with rubber first and then let this initial coat partially cure. This will fill any detail that would otherwise trap air. Repeat if necessary although you rarely need to. Then mix up some more rubber and pour normally. If you use a slow set rubber, i.e. a 24 hour cure rubber rather than a 1 hour cure rubber, it gives more time for any bubbles to rise to the surface. It takes a little longer as Sparky mentioned but it's worth it.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

DX-SFX wrote:You don't necessarily need degassing chambers or pressure chambers if you brush the pattern with rubber first and then let this initial coat partially cure. This will fill any detail that would otherwise trap air. Repeat if necessary although you rarely need to. Then mix up some more rubber and pour normally. If you use a slow set rubber, i.e. a 24 hour cure rubber rather than a 1 hour cure rubber, it gives more time for any bubbles to rise to the surface. It takes a little longer as Sparky mentioned but it's worth it.
go with the mold max 30, it seems like its tricky to mix (mix by weight) but I used a chefmate food scale from target for my trial pack and it works fine (max wieght it can weigh out is limited though). This stuff is much more watery when mixed and has a longer setup time.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Sparky wrote:
You have to deair the RTV/master after pouring the RTV. Brushing on a layer of RTV is probably more time consuming and error prone than just throwing the mold box/master/rtv into the pot and dearing it once more beofre setting it aside to cure.
Careful though. I degassed a master in rubber once and the maste actually ruptured under the vacuum. I had to destroy the mold and cause more damage ot th master to get it out. I use a little dental tool to make sure the rubber gets into the narrow spots after pouring on a very thin layer.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Sparky wrote:
go with the mold max 30, it seems like its tricky to mix (mix by weight) but I used a chefmate food scale from target for my trial pack and it works fine (max wieght it can weigh out is limited though). This stuff is much more watery when mixed and has a longer setup time.
I mix my MoldMax-30 by weight and have no trouble. :D I just add a little extra catalyst volume wise to compansate for the different densities.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere