sanding tight corners & spaces

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

sanding tight corners & spaces

Post by Digger1 »

I've been trying to sand a pretty tight corner but all I can think to do it fold the sandpaper up a few times to give it more stiffness.

Any tips or suggestions?
bob242

Post by bob242 »

Someone once told me to cut dowels at an angle and glue a bit of sandpaper to the end of the dowels. That way you have a handle to work with. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds solid. Can't imagine it working for a large section without having quite a few dowels ready to go, but if it's just a few corners and such it should work.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What type of sandpaper are you using?

I would recommend using the 3M stuff in the multiple grain pack. I use the 440 and 220 stuff for bulk work. They stuff is wet/dry, and thin, but tough enough to be folded into right angles from verrrry small pieces to reach tough to reach places. John shared this one with me.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Yeah, it's the 3M stuff I got from the jeweler's supply shop. It's 180 grit. Y'know, just to get most of the excess off.

Good idea about the dowels, too!
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I picked up some sticks at a beauty supply store that had grit glued onto the end of 'em. No idea what the original purpose was, but it was basically like above: A dowel with 2 45 degree angles cut into the end.

Worked pretty well, until I hit something hard and the grit came off the stick.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Cut a popsickle stick to fit the shape then attach the sand paper to that with some double sided carpet tape.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Files can be handy, too. I'll wet-file resin a lot with files in tight spaces.

Chisel-type blades in the X-acto are also handy.

But the above ideas for sanding are great options. Contact cement on the popsicle stick works if you don't want the foam from the double sided tape.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati