Air bubbles in resin casting

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hobbit 77

Air bubbles in resin casting

Post by Hobbit 77 »

I just made a couple of two part rubber molds and I'm getting some tiny air bubbles in the castings. Some times the resin castings turn out okay but others have a few air bubbles in them. Tried pouring the resin in very slowly and using the "burping" technique and have also made a crude centrifuge from a coffe can. You know, putting resin filled rubber molds into the coffee can and spinning it around a few times with a rope that I attached to it. Both have mixed results. Don't really have the money to purchase a pressure pot but does any body have any thoughts about getting bubble free castings?

Hobbit 77
Schadenfreudian

Post by Schadenfreudian »

Do you have reasonably large 'reservoirs' attached to your castings? I don't know what the term really is, but I tend to make excessively large pour-channels and air-escape channels (what I referred to as reservoirs) when casting. When the resin is poured into the mould, I ensure that it fills it right up so that these 'reservoirs' are also filled with resin. When spinning the casting, in a similarly crude way to you, air bubbles are forced to float up into these reservoirs, displacing the resin in them. You should end up with a casting substantially bubble-free, but the reservoirs, which form sort of fat sprues, will be pitted and half-formed due to the bubbles displaced into them. In a sense, they form sacrificial extensions of the casting.
'Science is a wonderful thing, I know, but I'd far rather be happy than right, any day.'
'And are you?'
'No. That's where it all falls down, of course.'

Hugging trees everywhere... http://www.greenparty.org.uk/
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

start by making your part in 2 pieces so you can have open face molds allowing the bubbles to rise AWAY from the surface. also the gentle vibration of your washing machine or dryer are enough to allow most bubbles to move away form the surface. use smoothon products.