cheap light set up.

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

max142

cheap light set up.

Post by max142 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before; but, while at Michaels craft store I found a cheap set of lights. For $3.00 you get a battery pack (2 AA), a switch and 10 wheat bulbs. This is all wired together in a neat package. This was found in the floral area ment to put in a floral arrangment.

Wow, my first posting in the lighting section. Hope this helps.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Welcome to the neighborhood, max142! Good info.

Those could be really handy for lighting up a large area, or...?

I used to use a lot of Grain O' Wheat bulbs. I used to replace a lot of 'em too.... These would be great if you don't use 'em anyplace that you can't easily get to for replacement. ( Oh, ask me how I know! :cry: )

I think you can find similar bunches of LEDs and a 2/AA holder around Christmas, too. Those are usually a lot more burnout resistant if you're careful.

Thanks for pointing out another useful resource!
max142

Post by max142 »

Do wheat bulbs generate a lot of heat? Have not lit any models...yet.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Technically, any "light bulb" mainly produces - heat. Or Infrared emissions. Still - heat.

A fully lit GOWB next to a thin section of plastic (like a hull on a model) can soften the plstic, distort it, or pop the paint.

I use LEDs 'cause they run cool and last almost forever - used properly. I have one clock and two displays made with LEDs sitting on top of my computer - and they've been ON and RUNNING for over 33 years, each. I guess a third of a century is pretty reliable. :D That's a century total run time. (They're each powered by wall warts.)

Bulbs on the other hand.... :cry:
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

The last time I used bulbs was in a Star Destroyer(I actually used a 1/32" drill bit for the "windows". . .it made the room look like a disco hall). Now the only place I used bulbs is in places where you have to have the "incandescent" look, because those specialty LEDs with the yellowish tinge to them for MRRs are still too expensive in my book.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!