salt, sand, cornmeal?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

salt, sand, cornmeal?

Post by Digger1 »

you know how there's a technique where you put salt or sand on the surface of a model and once the applied paint dries, chip off the salt or sand and there will be a flake left over?

I just discovered that cornmeal sticks well to a surface and unlike salt, it has a slight stickiness to it which will keep it in place when you're spraying so they don't fly all over the place.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Intersting. Do you use water to apply the corn meal the same way you do with salt (never tried the sand method)? I would think that using water would make the cornmeal mushy. I suppose it doesn't matter since the same effect will be achieved once the moisture dries up.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Actually you want the salt to fall off, adds depth to the wear by going you light spots.

And if you use enough water you've got to damn near scrub the salt off anyhoo.

Cornmeal eh? I supposed one could use grits for large chunks.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Cornmeal won't go mushy, gives cornbread it's texture. I am thinking that since cornmeal is finer than salt it could be used in combination for a varied effect. Then use coarse ground salt for an even more varied effect. Dammit Bab you've got me thinking, a very dangerous thing these days, by using various combinations you could achieve a very realistic result.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.