Anyone heard of zinc plate primer?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

big-dog

Anyone heard of zinc plate primer?

Post by big-dog »

I have it from a reliable source that Nostromo (the filming miniature-all 8 feet of it) was painted with zinc plate primer-not grey primer as often reported. I Googled it, and found essentially nothing. Is this a British thing, apparently it's an automotive primer. If it is Brit, does anyone know what the US equivalent might be? Thanks a lot.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Interesting information.

I found these links here and here to Zinc Primer.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

IIRC there is a primer coat sprayed onto some metals before being Zink coated. What that primer is I have no idea.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Thanks for the replies guys, if I can't find it here the main point was that it should be 'considerably darker than primer grey'.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I've heard of zinc chromate primer. It's the yellow-green primer you see on the gear bay interiors of certain American World War II aircraft.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Darth Humorous

Post by Darth Humorous »

Might you be thinking of cold galvanizing compound in a spray can? I can't remember the brand name, but it is fine zinc particulates suspended in a liquid in a spray can. The can is very heavy. It sprays out a dull silver gray, and is typically used to protect steel from rust. Looks sort of like hot dipped zinc galvanizing when dry, with a rough texture.

Mark
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

You know I just noticed that yesterday at WalMart of all places, in the auto paint area, there was one from Rustoleum, and one from Krylon. I'm guessing it's the right stuff, though with the rough finish it might look out of scale. Thanks a lot for all the replies and info guys. It was cheap so I'll try it and see how it looks on some scrap first.
jtparker

Post by jtparker »

Its called ZInc Chromate Primer.

it is used to treat aircraft parts. you can buy it in spray cans from Wicks or from an airport FBO maintenance shop...

http://www.bladesaviation.com/paintprocess_tmp.htm

https://www.carolinaboatoutfitters.com/ ... s_id=73095

The second color version of the nostromo was painted this color before it was ordered gray, more detailing, and the bottom front Thruster pod added to the ship.

nice Nostromo "yellow "

:D
android

Post by android »

One guy I worked with in the Navy called it Zinc Primate one day, so I've been calling it that ever since.
jtparker

Post by jtparker »

You are correct about the Nostromo being yellow. actually it was repainted about 4 times. The zinc chromate was the second to the last paint job.

Individual panels were sprayed at different times and distances to give different textures to the ship. some of the panels were steel-wooled to shine up the finish. The Nostromo at this point was very beautiful, but then Ridley Scott made the decision that it was to bright for the mood of the film (to his credit), and the Nostromo was repainted once again with some smaller details added and the large registry numbers on the nacelles painted over, and moved to smaller numbers just under the bridge windows.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Zinc Chromate Primer is priamarily used as a passivating primer for aluminium, zinc, cadmium, copper, silver, magnesium, tin and their alloys to slow corrosion. It can't be used on iron or steel. It can be anything from a bright golden-yellow (when the object is dipped in a solution), though a dull yellow-green through to quite a dark green with a hint of yellow. It is used exensively in the marine and aero industries to prevent corrosion of aluminium components.

As to the Nostromo - much of the pre-production artwork was done by Chris Foss. Many of his ships appear in a dull yellow like construction industry vehicles (what we call JCB yellow in the UK).
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
jtparker

Post by jtparker »

if you want to see all about Nostromo History and the Nostromo kits I make, as well as all of the awesome alien props our small community does check out

www.propsummit.com

partially complete 2-foot Nostromo
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu23 ... stromo.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu23 ... CT0469.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu23 ... nished.jpg
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu23 ... CT0413.jpg
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

seam-filler wrote:As to the Nostromo - much of the pre-production artwork was done by Chris Foss. Many of his ships appear in a dull yellow like construction industry vehicles (what we call JCB yellow in the UK).
Chris Foss's stuff was earlier in the production. The final screen used concepts were Ron Cobb designs. Both Foss and Cobb used very industrial colors for their Nostromo concepts though, with orange and gray two-tone schemes being dominant.

Sounds like the zinc chromate base color or primer is only a starting point if you're looking to do the earlier unused Nostromo scheme, not the final screen used one.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle