workbench clamp

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

workbench clamp

Post by Digger1 »

what use have I for one of these? I just want to be able to justify getting one so I know I'll be able to actually use it and so it's not ornamental.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It's a nice vise for metal work. If you're sawing metal, drilling, etc. The flat top part on the right is an anvil, on which you can straighten nails, flatten tubes etc.

I don't know if this is the most useful item for a modeler's shop - it might be a bit rough. I have a couple vices (more than a couple) in the woodshop.

You can attach wood to the vise jaws as a pad, so you can hold softer things like styrene.

I think you'd be better with a mitre box for most modeling needs.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
m_ubelaker

Post by m_ubelaker »

Have one just like it, only 30 years old. Use to hold my knife sharpener, flatten tube, shape sheet metal or just hold things tight. Use it all the time for modeling and other stuff.
fructose

Post by fructose »

I've got a small one that my grandfather gave me when I was about 12 years old. I use it to hold all sorts of stuff. It has come in handy too many times for me to remember.
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you are doing as long as you look good doing it.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

You might be better off with a machinists vise. I find that I use mine more often than my bench vise.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=60282
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
TREKKRIFFIC

Re: workbench clamp

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Babaganoosh wrote:what use have I for one of these? I just want to be able to justify getting one so I know I'll be able to actually use it and so it's not ornamental.

I have one that ran me about $30.00 at my local hobbyshop. It was sold as a hobby vise; it's metal but the jaws have rubber boots covering them so you don;pt scratch soft plastics. It also has a ball/socket arrangement which allows you to turn the vise to practically any angle. It also has a twistknob underneath so you can fasten the c-clamp style base to the edge of your workbench.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
octagon

Post by octagon »

Has anyone seen one that could clamp both a model stand (12 inches height) and onto the side of the bench, at the same time?
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

octagon wrote:Has anyone seen one that could clamp both a model stand (12 inches height) and onto the side of the bench, at the same time?
This is the one I bought. Doesn't go 12 inches high I'm afraid.

http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0680.html
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I buy clamps at Harbor Freight, the BEST I've seen for model making is a suction cup base vise. You can get a Panavise at Micro Mark for 40 or more bucks, mine was 14 bones. The only reason I can see shelling out for a tool maker's vise is for milling, done a lot of research since getting my mill. From what I've seen the the best type to get is a screwless vise, lift of the movable jaw is the problem with most vises, the screwless vise pulls the moving jaw down while it tightens, I opted for a clamping kit instead, and spent the extra on a rotary table.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks TREKKRIFFIC. That is one fine clamp. Now I know such thing exists, next step is to look around locally.

Hey big-dog, Had a quick look at HF. Not quite sure what you are trying to say.