Lil' motor question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Morty Seinfeld

Lil' motor question

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

here's a question for those in the know:

If I take those lil' electric motors that you find in all sorts of things, and increase the power input from the standard 2 AA bateries to something like 3 AA or 4 AA (making the motor spin faster) will I drastically decrease the life of the motors? What if I just increase the input power a little bit?
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

More power + more speed = shorter life. How much shorter? Don't know. Depends on the mota. Some may last quite a while, some won't.

From experience? NEVER bet on the part lasting long if you over drive it.

FWIW
Bar

Post by Bar »

It may last less time(But without knowing what the previous lifespan is, how will you know? Especially if you only power it occasionally...).
I recently bought a couple of packs of tiny motors at TRU(Little replacement motors for electric cars), and they truly are tiny(Only about 4mm in diameter, and maybe 18mm long). I plan on using them to power small mini-guns on a Gi Joe Firebat conversion...
Let us know how you get on with these.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com