AutoCad for Scratchbuilding

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Treadhead

AutoCad for Scratchbuilding

Post by Treadhead »

Has anyone used AutoCad for doing desingwork to be used for a scratchbuilding project?

I found it extremely valuable. Basically AutoCad is a computer aided design tool that lets you draw stuff out on the computer.

I can't draw worth a darn and this helps --especially with getting measurements down.

I print the part out on a piece of labe paper, stick in on the styrene and cut it out. Near perfect fits every time.
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

try google sketchup - its even easier and totally free.
dekesdragon

Post by dekesdragon »

Hi Treadhead,
I use both AutoCad and Inventor for design work.
The draw back to using Inventor is that to get the 1:1 (well as close as
possible given printer/cutting limitations) is to go to idw, drop border
and print 1:1.
One can use 'skeleton' modeling in Inventor, or start design in Autocad
and import into Inventor.

Someday I will actually do an entire design in Inventor and transfer it to
scratchbuilding. Taking into account the various limitations of materials,
precision of cutting tools, my wearing glasses, etc.

Ya there are less expensive or free drawing tools available, but I already
own the license to Inventor, why go somewhere else.

And I would also believe that Solidworks could do the same thing it one owns a copy.
BETTER GOVERNMENT THROUGH OPPRESSION
Do I get a fish biscuit?
Heenz Meenz Beenz
Bio-Dorc

Post by Bio-Dorc »

I defnitely agree. I use IronCAD coupled with AutoCAD to do a very accurate blueprint of whatever I'm designing. I pull some views off of an IronCAD 3D model and scale them in AutoCAD. From here I sort out the layers/parts and then print them out. The printouts are VERY accurate.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I use Canvas. I find it a lot easier to use than AutoCAd or equivalents, yet it has excellent 2D vector and pixel based editing tools. I even use it to make decals.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

You can also download variou free versions of stuff like TurboCAD. They have learning editions which would be great for that stuff. I've got one.

Head over to www.download.com and have a look.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

I got all sorts of programs but I always seem to resort to an H lead a lead pointer, cheap trace, straight edges, french curves and an 0.25 technical pen....

Todays drawing is...

I will probably build two models from this little plan set.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
BLZ BOB

Post by BLZ BOB »

Working with AutoCAD on a daily basis I suppose its natural that I use it, sketch out plenty of plans, if work would stump up for a nicer 3d modelling package I could do even more but for 2D its fine. I also rate AutoSKETCH its way cheaper than CAD and these days has a functionality thats almost on par.
Your Tastebuds can't repel flavour of this magnitude!
octagon

Post by octagon »

Umi, That is a really nice drawing. You have enormous talent.

For me, I still like the good old fashion way, a pencil, ruler and french curves. So far have not been successful with any autocad software. Just find that the feeling could flow better from the arm to the pencil, then from a mouse & a cursor.
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

I use Illustrator 10.0

I cant get 3d views but its good for 2d plans

sofar I have drawn up an AGM-109 Tomahawk Cruise missle and a 6' V2 rocket, and I am in the process of a Me 262 and the Original Enterprise.

glen
bmagee

Post by bmagee »

Has anyone tried solidworks for modeling before? I was looking at it the other day.
BLZ BOB

Post by BLZ BOB »

bmagee wrote:Has anyone tried solidworks for modeling before? I was looking at it the other day.
Got a 'test' version sharpish laerning curve if you arent sed to 3d modelling but fantastic software was just getting into the hang of it when *BAM* the copy I had wont let you do anything interesting no assemblies, so I can mock up parts but cant test fit them together. I cant justify the enormous expense for the software for what is essentially a hobby pastime. I would pay 100GBP for a cut down version but they are asking well over that so no joy for jonny :(
Bio-Dorc

Post by Bio-Dorc »

Some of the Mechanical Engineers working with me use SolidWorks for modelling and analysis. The price refers more to the fluid analysis side for engineering application rather than modelling for hobbies. Overkill IMHO. :-)
I want to start using Lightwave for 3D modelling, VERY impressive...!
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

bmagee wrote:Has anyone tried solidworks for modeling before? I was looking at it the other day.
SolidWorks is quite powerful, but it has a steep learning curve and it's very, very expensive. To add insult to injury, installing a legitimate copy is a PITA due to all the dongles and copy protection schemes involved.

There's a student version that isn't too expensive, but the software "dies" after a time period (6 mo - year? ).
BLZ BOB

Post by BLZ BOB »

macfrank wrote:
SolidWorks is quite powerful, but it has a steep learning curve and it's very, very expensive. To add insult to injury, installing a legitimate copy is a PITA due to all the dongles and copy protection schemes involved.

There's a student version that isn't too expensive, but the software "dies" after a time period (6 mo - year? ).
Tell me about it. I event ried to get a student copy with my mother buying it as she is a techer and elegible in theory, however then discovered that you can only get it on those terms if you can have it hardwired to the schools network no remote linking allowed and various other draconian measures. This may not be so bad but the program in this state is already hamstrung to prevent use by professionals. I fancied learning this as its about the only software listed for jobs vacancies down my way. But it was not to be there are no local training courses and there is no way in hell I can afford a residential course off my own back I dont even make enough in my current job to pay the bills, I need the missus salary to make ends sort of meet.

It is great software and the online tutorials are fantastic and really introduce you to the software, I took to it like a duck to water really great software and makes me wish solid modelling was an option when I took engineering back at uni. All we had back then was FE software that was nasty to use, powerful but nasty.
Qrest Fourstar

Post by Qrest Fourstar »

there was a flyer I grabbed at Nationals this weekend called printapart.com. They say they can make any part if you send them a cad picture.

wonder how good they are?
-Paul

"She may not look like much, But she's got it where It counts kid." -Han Solo
bmagee

Post by bmagee »

Paul- I went to the site you taked about. They are using stereolithography to produce anything from a cad or 3d rendering. It is really awesome tehnology! As a rule it is a bit on the pricy side to have parts manufactured this way. I am going to try to contact my local university (engineering dept) to see if they have a stereolithography machine. Engineering students can have their designs "printed" in this machine. It literally prints a liquid polymer and immediaely cures it with a laser. The process builds your part layer by layer in thousands of an inch increments. FYI
Vern647

AutoCad for scratch building.

Post by Vern647 »

I use both Autocad and Sketchup for my scratch building. I have access to a full version af AutoCad at work and I have a licence copy of Sketchup at home.

What do you want to do?

Sketchup is a bit more "intuitive". It's quicker and easier to learn. It is meant to be a "sketch" program. I have an idea. I want to see what it looks like in 3d. I want to get an idea of the proportions. Once you have your design you can export it as a jpeg file, ortho views if you like, and start building. There is a free version that can be down loaded and will suffice for most modelers uses.

AutoCad is the Nth degree of precision. It is not easy to learn, but the benefits are innumerable. You can design that Starship to exactly 253.72 ft and then print it out at exactly 1\72 scale. Draw out the control panel of that Viper down to the numbers on the engine controls, and then print out a fine detailed image. Check out your local community college to see if they offer a begining AutoCad class. Enroll, stick with it and you'll have a skill in your modelers tool bag that you've only dreamed of.

Go for it!

Vern :)
Just because God did the world in 6 days, dont expect me to have this kit done in less than a week.
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

I'm rather peculiar, as I first scratchbuild my models, and then realize them in 3D as virtual models.

My weapon of choice is Rhino 4. I've been using it since 1998-99.

It excels at doing mechanical subjects, and exports to a wide variety of formats. it also imports Adobe Illustrator files that can be used as active curves for extrusion, lofting etc.

And I am blessed that my wife is in the Computer science program at URI, because this gives me an academic discount (aside from already being blessed with an awesome wife who can appreciate my geek tendencies.)

:8)
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Kolschey wrote: My weapon of choice is Rhino 4. I've been using it since 1998-99.
Rhino has a fairly steep learning curve, but nothing as bad as Autocad.

A few excellent points about Rhino:

- the educational price is reasonable, and doesn't expire. Some community colleges can probably qualify you for the edu discount, or if you work or teach at a school or university, the edu discount applies as well.

- Their upgrade costs are very reasonable.

- While the program is lightly copy protected, they let you install it on two machines, as long as the program is not used on both at the same time. They are a very reasonable company to deal with.

- Rhino can export to .stl, which is the standard file format for 3D printers. You can send most 3D print providers a DWG or DXF file, but they'll have to convert it to STL, and they'll charge you for it, including the cleanup (unless it's a very simple object, it will almost certainly require cleanup before printing).
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

Ah, and another selling point for Rhino is that while it used to be a PC exclusive, they are now actively (as in doing real research and beta testing) looking at being able to make this available for the Apple platform, thanks to the new Intel hardware.

When I last upgraded my PC hardware, my father asked me why I didn't simply go for a Mac. At that time I could not have run Rhino, which is utterly essential to my workflow.

Now, I anticipate that when my hardware is finally obsolete, that may no longer be a consideration. :8)