Questions about Badger 360

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cvrle

Questions about Badger 360

Post by Cvrle »

Well, I'm in the home run for an airbrush, and the local distributor just got this one in...
Two questions:
How often do you need to change nozzles?
How's it for cleaning?

Thanks for all the replies!

Cheers,
Tvrtko
intent on building... but somehow i just end up collecting (full) boxes :)
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It comes with only one size tip - the cone Iwata calles a Nozzle.

The Badger (and Omni before that) tips are longer and more tapered than many, meaning you have a wider range of performance than most other airbrushes.

They're all metal, plated steel or brass, so they clean well.

It's a fine brush, and the one I recommend to anyone moving to a double-action brush. If my Omni 3000 ever gives up the ghost, I'll probably buy one.

Tom Foti, who does a lot of review work for FSM has one. He uses it a LOT, and has reported the gasket at the swivel does wear out over time - as you would expect. He's using it every day, though, so the average user will get a lot more time out of that.

If you do buy this, buy an extra tip. They're not big, and can be lost easily when you remove the crown and tip for cleaning. They're also the part which wears out most quickly, and I've found once it starts to wear you lose performance. The tip's pretty cheap though, and well-worth having a spare around.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Cvrle

Post by Cvrle »

Aha... therein lies the catch... my importer imported only the brushes, no spare parts yet (he says November, but I'm apprehensive...)

Do you have any information on the Omni Matrix? (As I gather, it's similar to the 360).

The Omni 3000 is another I'm looking at, and since you mentioned you have it... questions! :D

How does it clean? To tell you the truth, I'm looking primarily into gravity feed because it seems to be easier to clean. What's your usual cleaning procedure for the Omni?

I'm looking for a good general purpose brush- I'don't compete, but am very critical of my work (aren't we all), so I want a good performer.

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,
Tvrtko
intent on building... but somehow i just end up collecting (full) boxes :)
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

For a good general purpose brush I like the Badger 150. It's a siphon feed, but it's easy to maintain. The design of the tip guard makes it nearly impossible to damage the needle, unless you drop it while cleaning it. It comes apart easily, and isn't hard to keep clean.

On the other tentacle, I have very limited experience with other airbrushes, so I can't compare ease of use and maintenance with them. All I know is that I frequently hear of people replacing their tips and needles with various airbrushes, while I've never had to replace anything on my 150, in the fifteen years I've owned it. I suspect the 360 is the same way, it looks like a 150 with bells on.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The Badger 360 is the 155 with a swivel head.

The Omni Matrix is the 3000 with a swivel head.

The Omni tip is about 1/3 longer and more tapered than the 360's. Thus, it has a broader range of performance. Though I think I'd be hard pressed to really differentiate - having used my Dad's 360 it seems pretty similar to my Omni.

I really like the Omni. But it's made by Badger, so if you have trouble with parts for the Badger wouldn't you have the same problems with the T&C Omni?

Both will suit 90% of all your uses. Only when you can't airbrush some super-fine application will you need something like a Sotar or other fine detail brush. I use the Sotar to paint camoflage on miniatures or paint scale patterns on dragon minis etc.

Iwata's Eclipse and similar range are also fine brushes if you have better access to those, they'll do you fine, too.

Terry Miesle
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I find the tip damaged by the needle more than vice versa. Perhaps I'm a bit rough with my tools, though. I notice it on free-hand camoflage work etc. I have spare tips, though, they're only $4 for a replacement tip on the Omni.

$26 for a replacment Sotar tip...and it's only about 2mm long....

Terry Miesle
anntaylor

Post by anntaylor »

thanks for the offer...