lathe Lathe LAthe LAThe LATHe LATHE!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Less Than Super Ostrich

lathe Lathe LAthe LAThe LATHe LATHE!

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

Just curious to see if anyone here knows of a good resource to learn how to use a lathe.

Thanks!
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

pump up the volume...

Put the tool to the metal
And Cut cut...

do it
do it do it

yea yea
yea yea

Turn it down, Tu tu turn it down
Turn it down,

SNAP!! Oops cuttin' too fast...

Spin it, cut it , real fine control
Tolerance, is so fine, can you say .00
Spin it, cut it , real fine control
Tolerance, is so fine, can you say .00

:D :D
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

WOW!! :shock:

Dude time to seriously considering DeCaf :D
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've done a lot of reading at Mini-lathe.com. Picked up a few books.

And my fellow CoMMiES Mr. Badwrench is a working machinist so he is always helpfull when I'm trying to wrap my head around a problem.

But when it comes down to it, for every turn, turn, turn, turn, there is a chip, turn, turn, turn, turn....plan on reducing a lotta material to shavings.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Frank is a tres kewel guy. Very helpful. Also great for mini mills, which he also covers.

For getting set up this place is da bomb!:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php

Go to the learning center, there's info on stuff that goes with mills and lathes, and what it acutally does, so you can more easily evaluate whether or not that product would work for you. And they have great customer assistance. I bought their lathe starter kit and the stuff is nice!
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Well, Brian, in the club to which you belong you have a professional machinist - Neil P., an amateur machinist - Chad, and a good woodworker - Neil B. who all have lathes...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Play with it. A lathe is a pretty easy tool to use. It only moves in two directions. Well, that and it spins. Play with it. The worst that will happen is you'll cut something wrong and have to start over. Actually, the worst that can happen is you'll cut your finger off, or put an eye out, so don't do that.

Actually this reminds me: Sometimes when you're cutting, (anything but wood), a nice chip will shoot off in a long, thin streamer. When this happens you know you're cutting right. But what ever you do, don't grab that chip as it is coming off the machine. Aside from the fact that it may be hot and burn the crap out of your fingers, it can unexpectedly wrap around your fingers and wrap itself around the spinning part and *YOINK* just like that your fingers are gone. It'll happen so fast you won't even feel it. This is one of those rare times when I learned from the experience of others.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

This is a tool ive been wanting for some time now, think ill take the plunge next month too, there are so many things i wish to turn, i have used lathes many times back in my school days, got pretty good at it too, been looking at the Emco unimat range, the number 4 variant, anyone know much on these, i want something affordable is the plan! Glad i saw this thread LTSO! :D