eggshell/foil technique (replicating discoloured metal)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TB2

eggshell/foil technique (replicating discoloured metal)

Post by TB2 »

Does anyone know how to discolour foil using crushed eggshells? It's a method used to replicate burnished or discoloured metal on things such as aircraft exhaust cans. From what I understand, regular cooking foil is placed in a pot of boiling water with crushed egg shells, the time it's left in affects the look. I tried it myself but got spotty results. Not sure how many crushed shells to use, how much water etc. Any advice?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Are you using tap water or distilled water? DIstilled water is not going to have all the chlorine and lime in it. I'm wondering if that might be the cause of your variations from the book writers'. Who knows what kind of mineral content is in their water?

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

IIRC it's the sulfer content present in the eggshells (migrates out from the core when boiled). Tap water with it's questionable chemical content probably won't help.
Abolish Alliteration
dhanners

Post by dhanners »

I've never tried it with crushed eggshells. I've always just used whole eggs, and you go about it as if you were fixing hard-boiled eggs. Stick sections of foil in the water, stick an egg or three in there and turn on the heat. Eventually, the water will boil and after a few minutes, you'll have discolored foil.

A couple of things to note.... Experiment to see how long it takes to get various levels of discoloration. And make sure you have tongs or forceps to take the foil out of the water.

Also, keep in mind you may have to do several sheets before you get the shade you want or enough foil to cover the area you want to cover. The discoloration isn't always even because the movement of the eggs in the boiling water usually causes the egg(s) to bump against the foil, causing creases. While the creases can be smoothed out later, the discoloration may be lighter or darker along the crease, depending upon which side you're looking at.
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

You don't eat the eggs though do you?

Interesting topic as I have never heard this process before.
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

Blimmey - thats a new one!

I just use a shade of Alclad 2... but the eggy-method sounds more fun.
TB2

Post by TB2 »

Thanks for the input guys. Suggestions on what adhesive to use to attach the foil?

(Who thinks of this stuff anyway? What's the thought process?
"Hmm...exhaust discolouration.....EGGS...yeah, that'll do it!)
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

TB2 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Suggestions on what adhesive to use to attach the foil?

(Who thinks of this stuff anyway? What's the thought process?
"Hmm...exhaust discolouration.....EGGS...yeah, that'll do it!)
White glue, slightly diluted.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

There is a glue specifically for foil that is found in the hobby stores. Forget the name but it is out there for I have used it.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or Elmer's Carpenders glue is what I've been recomended to use. It's the yellowish stuff. Tackier and a better grip. More horse I suspect.

Are you talking about 'size' Starmanmm?
Abolish Alliteration
dhanners

Post by dhanners »

You can use thinned rubber cement to affix it, but the best stuff to use is Microscale (or whatever the heck the company is named now) "Metal Foil Adhesive." Brush it on the foil, let it dry and stick it on.

You can find the adhesive at your local hobby shop, usually in the same Microscale rack where they display the decal solvents, etc.

And, yes, you can eat the eggs, provided you let them boil longer than the foil.