straightening warped resin with hot water

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Marlonius

straightening warped resin with hot water

Post by Marlonius »

hi Guys,

I know of the hot water trick for straightening warped resin pieces. I was wondering if those of you who had done it had more information about how hot to make the water, general pointers, etc.

All help is appreciated!

-Marlon
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

I'd like to know about the oven heating myself...
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Immerse the warped area and a bit further in the water, let it get good and hot (not quite boiling) and remove. HOld in the position you want and let it cool. I don't know whether speeding the cooling under cold water is bad or good, but I just let it cool to room temperature on its own. You can use some sort of guide if it helps.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

It's a good idea to wear gloves during the procedure. You don't want to boil your fingertips, and some softer resins might pick up a subtle fingerprint pattern if your grip is too tight.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
Marlonius

Post by Marlonius »

Thanks guys - I wasn't sure how hot I could go with the water, and sure didn't want to overdo it. I'll be doing this later today.

-Marlon
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Also interested in this, got a new kit that needs a bit of straightening here and there.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Marlonius

Post by Marlonius »

The operation was a success. I put water from the kettle in to a pot and diluted with cool water down to 65 deg C. Held the warped part of the model in for 25 seconds, then pulled out and straightened by hand. I had the kitchen faucet running 5' away, and quenched under cold water to 'set' it.

Thanks for the tips guys,

Marlon