sotar 20-20 or iwata hp-c plus

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jafo

sotar 20-20 or iwata hp-c plus

Post by jafo »

Hi all,
im in the market for a good detailing airbrush
im seeking opinions between the sotar 20-20 or a iwata HP-C plus. i use a badger 360 for general work.
thanks
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have a Sotar, and have used it for painting camoflage free-hand and for painting miniatures. It's very good. I can't comment on the Iwata - I haven't used one.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
jafo

Post by jafo »

thanks
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As an Iwata owner I can say, both are about equal.

I perfer Iwata's dissembly and easy of cleaning. Don't know about the Sotar's maint.
Abolish Alliteration
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

How are they on parts kylwell.....I've have some Badgers....they work good...but I think I have replaced most if not all the parts in them...some several times over....esp. the heads....needles...and LOTS of O-rings....not fun
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Let's see... I over tightened the nozzle(repeatedly) and broke it, so that got replaced. And I've cracked 2 tips. Total cost, something like $35 over 3 years.

Never had to replace an O ring, needle or anythign else.
Abolish Alliteration
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

sci-fi-bldr wrote:esp. the heads....needles...and LOTS of O-rings....not fun
The same for me with the needless & tips. Which O-rings do you mean btw? I also just noticed my trigger is badly worn out.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I only use the Sotar when I absolutely need to. The tip is insanely small, and costs $26 to replace. I'll use my Omni for 95% of my work.

Having said that, teardown and maintainence on the Sotar is easy enough.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Had to replace all the o-rings at some point in time Sdf-1...but mostly the one on the head...and the one that travels with the needle....

also...for your trigger...there is a couple of small rings in there if I remember right...there is a whole assembly you can buy that is just below the trigger...if I also remember right..that is the easiest..and most cost effective way of solving the problem... if your problem is that
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

I guess we have very different airbrushes Sci-fi-bldr. You know, I have Crescendo, it's diffrent from all the other Badgers and has different parts, as far as I know at least. As for the trigger, I don't need to buy anything else than the trigger itself I think. All the Crescendo parts can be changed easily, well, the ones you normally need to change sometimes. It's pretty good airbrush, but gravity feed would be nice though.