liquid masking?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ralphee

liquid masking?

Post by ralphee »

Hey Guys

Im currently painting my FMMF, all is well, but i kinda made a lil booboo, the rear engine flaps ive attached need the red markings painting, as im not using the decals, im using the saltwater method to give the wear effect, but ive gone and glued the flap rods on like a donut, :oops: and obviously gave myself a headache in masking them. Cant cheat and brush them in as then the wear effect im using will not work, therefore, i need to know if liquid mask is any good, and safe to use on tamiya acrylics, was thinkin of masking them in with liquid and then airbrushing, never used a liquid mask so any advice would be welcome, many thanks....lee
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

What brand of liquid mask are you using? I would recommend using Parafilm-M or Bare Metal Foil for this task, but wouldn't rule out liquid mask, depending on what you've got.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

Saltwater method? Sounds interesting, NEVER heard before... I'll try to search if I can find some info... Sounds very promising...
lestatdelc

Paint scratches

Post by lestatdelc »

Sdf-1 wrote:Saltwater method? Sounds interesting, NEVER heard before... I'll try to search if I can find some info... Sounds very promising...
Read a neat article on this (though never used the technique myself). It's where you stick on some salt crystals (with water) over a silver undercoat before applying the base-coat paint. Then once you have the base-colors on over the silver undercoat, you brush (pop) off the salt crystals and clean with water. It gives very sharp crystalline shaped hold-outs of the paint, which look like scale paint scratches from wear and tear. I have seen it used on WWII aircraft to get realistic, in-scale paint scratches where crew access lines and panels get scuffed all to hell by a maintenance crew.

Swannysmodels has a step-by-step write-up on the technique.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: liquid masking?

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

ralphee wrote:Hey Guys

Im currently painting my FMMF, all is well, but i kinda made a lil booboo, the rear engine flaps ive attached need the red markings painting, as im not using the decals, im using the saltwater method to give the wear effect, but ive gone and glued the flap rods on like a donut, :oops: and obviously gave myself a headache in masking them. Cant cheat and brush them in as then the wear effect im using will not work, therefore, i need to know if liquid mask is any good, and safe to use on tamiya acrylics, was thinkin of masking them in with liquid and then airbrushing, never used a liquid mask so any advice would be welcome, many thanks....lee
I use CastinCraft latex mold builder in the big jar. Thins with ammonia and water. Sometimes, depending on how glossy the surface, you may need to apply a couple of dabs.

But, you apply it just like thick paint. Work fast, though.

Also, beware of applying it over acrylics, as its high ammonia content can fog them. Over enamels and lacquers, they're fine.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

Thats the one lest! ive never done it before and it was jades dark heart/ greg, who gave me the idea a long time ago when he was building the salzo x wing. i didnt use silver obviously, i just put the salt crystals on my hull color, the lightly airbrushed the panels in, i did go a little overboard, you can see that in my thread on my falcon, but for my first time doing this, i was happy, ill just use the less is more attitude now lol!
ralphee

Post by ralphee »

hmmm thanks LT but i have used tamiya acrylics, im goin to my LHS friday to pick somethin up that will do the trick hopefully, ill keep ya posted, thanks for the tips though fellas!