Ugrent plastic help needed

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Ugrent plastic help needed

Post by Digger1 »

At Circuit City where I work, the PS2 display broke in shipping. I want to demonstrate that I'm the "go-to" guy for fixing and/or assembling things so I've taken it upon myself to fix the PS2 display.

The base
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/S ... CN2047.jpg

Another angle
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/S ... CN2050.jpg

The actual sign
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/S ... CN2053.jpg

How the sign goes on the base
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/S ... CN2055.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the sign is made from acrylic or lucite and needs light to shine through it illuminating the blue border and lettering. Only problem is that with the break, light won't be able to pass through as freely as it once did in its whole one-piece configuration. Also, if I were to try to glue it using CA glue or epoxy would only serve to block even more light.

My question put simply is: What kind of adhesive should I use to securely adhere the sign to the rest of it and to have as much light pass through as possible?
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

You're going to want to use solvent for acrylic/plexiglass. That will give you the strongest/clearest bond becuase it will actually "weld" the pieces together.

On the other hand, tell them it's junk and you'll take it off their hands for 'em. Then go make something out of it! :D

Dennis
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Boy, that's going to be a pain to fix given the structural need. DH is right, you'll need acrylic/polycarbonite glue. You may want to drill a set of holes to pin it, you could even use acylic rod to pin it with.
Abolish Alliteration
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

MEK (Methylene Chloride) neat, or some other form of "melting" solvent. The idea is to apply the solvent, let the lucite soften, join the parts (with extra care to keep air bubbles away, clamp it in position for a long time (to be sure the bond happened - A day or two), then polish the areas of the clear lucite that got affected by the solvent (not an easy job - better put as little solvent as you can, and place the part to be welded in a such a position as to keep the broken section lowest. Tilt the whole thing 45 degrees, so that it is like a "v"). Best to take the whole thing apart to work on the lucite part alone, away from the base, then reassemble everything.

1 The weld won't be nearly as strong as the original piece.

2 There's a big possibility it won't look as good as it did before.

3 Light will not shine through with the same intensity.

I would suggest you gettin in touch with Sony's Playstation Marketing Department to replace it. It is in THEIR interest to look good and they might even get in their tiny little heads to SUE your store if your fix is not up to their standard. And probably they had this kind of problem before, because...

...to be honest, it was a dumb idea to make the part like that. A narrow lucite neck is not very capable of holding the weight of that big sign, even without it being heat-bent (heat applied to a spot to soften it enough to bend at that 90 degree angle). It weakens the plastic if done too cold (the lucite gets micro fissures from stretching too much too cold) or too hot (the lucite begins to "burn", i.e. the bonds between molecules weaken), and it does harm the plastic a bit even when done at the right temperature.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Yep, I get on the horn to Sony to replace the piece. I'm guessing no way the repair it scar free. Since it's a store display it could be lexan, very tough to work with.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.