The toughest silver paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Astrazoic

The toughest silver paint?

Post by Astrazoic »

I would like some opinions on the toughest silver paint out there. To be more precise, which silver paint holds up very well to masking?

My research seems to indicate that Alclad is the toughest, but would like additional experienced input.

Whatever the answers are, I still intend to overcoat with Future before masking - I just want to "over engineer".

Thanks.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Alclad seems to be the best, as you mentioned.

If you use Testor's Metalizer, paint all the colors first, mask them, and then do the metallic paint. Tricky, but necessary. I've done it exactly thrice.

Be careful with your mask - I'd get Tamiya tape and remove as much tack as you can with still keeping good adhesion.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

On the other hand, silver car paint from the auto parts store is absolutely bulletproof, as long as there is a color you can use. There is no chance at all of finding an exact match for RLM 666, or a realistic bare metal finish. but there are a lot of silver/gunmetal/titaniums available. An auto body supply store will have a much better selection than the local chain store.
Andrew
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Nother' vote for Alclad- tough stuff as long as your primer's decent.

If you get a chance, Testors has some interesting metallics in their Automotive Lacquer line (spray bomb only) They have a Plymouth Bright Platinum Metallic that I like a lot.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
mightymax

Paint

Post by mightymax »

Go to the railroad dept of your hobbyshop and get Floquil "Old Silver" or "Platinum Mist". These paints dry and by that I mean you won't burn your fingerprints into the finish like silver paints will do. I have used old silver to obtain various natural metal finishes. As is it looks like oxidized aluminum. You can take plain old toothpaste and buff it to a sheen. Take some Alclad aluminum polishing powder and buff it in and you will be shocked. I also have buffed it with silver rub n buff for a good effect.

Good Luck,
Max Bryant
Astrazoic

Post by Astrazoic »

Excellent advice from all - thanks. I will be painting my PL 1/350 Enterprise refit with metallics, using a silver as base coat. I don't want a chrome finish, but I do need a tough coat of the stuff so I can mask off panels and such.

I'll let you know how it goes.
lestatdelc

Post by lestatdelc »

cinc2020 wrote:Excellent advice from all - thanks. I will be painting my PL 1/350 Enterprise refit with metallics, using a silver as base coat. I don't want a chrome finish, but I do need a tough coat of the stuff so I can mask off panels and such.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Damn, you stole my idea!

;-p

I was going to do just what you were talking about. I am looking to get a "whiter" version of the ultra-fine brushed titanium metal finish you find on the real-world Apple G5 towers as the target "finish" of my 1/350 Polar Lights Enterprise 1701-refit project.

Let me know what things you find that work/don't work if you can. Sounds like you are further along than me (have not yet picked up my kits but will be doing so in about a week). Would be great to follow along etc.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche