Painting a Bird-of-Prey

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kallen-bortas

Painting a Bird-of-Prey

Post by kallen-bortas »

I'm finally getting around to working on my BOP. I have all the sub-assemblies done, and ready to be assemblied.

My question is this;
Do most of y'all fully assemble the model first then paint & detail?
or
Do you paint, detail, then finish the assembly?
(I'm not lighting this model, so I ya don't have to figure that into your answer, if you were.)

I'm really trying to do this model right, I'm no way up to many of y'alls level yet, but I'm trying. I wish I had found this site before I started my K'Tinga, thankfully I found it before I finished it.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It all depends on the model, and what its geometry demands.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Arsenic Hipster

Post by Arsenic Hipster »

I built the hull except for the little red bar that goes across the front of the bridge section and the clear bits, I assembled the wings separately. Sprayed the base colours and painted major sections, then when they dried joined the wings to the hull (scrape off the paint in the joints so the glue joins the plastic not the paint). Since I was lighting mine the tubular post I used for the stand was permantly joined to the hull and sitting in a block of wood big enough to keep the whole thing steady while I painted the details. Finally I painted and attached the left over parts before the final clearcoat.