Angle Cutting tools/Miter saw

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kylwell

Angle Cutting tools/Miter saw

Post by Kylwell »

I have a question about cutting tools. Specifically the Chopper II and the Miter/Cut-off Machine. What's the opinion of these, does anybody have them, used them, abused them? Have any alternatives? I'm guessing for my nees the Miter machine is better suited for my uses, enables me to cut brass box tubing. What say you?
Abolish Alliteration
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I had a chopper 1 for years and now have a chopper 2. Both have their uses, but neither is dead nuts perfect. The problem is that the razor blade likes to go off to one side or the other when cutting thicker stock leaving a crooked (not flush) cut. For thin flat stock it's the poo, get a whiff. For thick round stock, get out the xacto miter box, it'll be straighter.

Brass stock wouldn't cut in it at all since it uses standard razor blades.

Erin
<*>
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

What Erin said.

If it's big enough, and made from a tree, I'll take it to my sliding compound mitre saw. Oooh, baby. Though some angle blocks and my bandsaw do a great job for most big stuff, too. I like my bandsaw.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I have thought about these types of tools before, but find I can do a great job without them.

What I was looking at is the mini tablesaw. I think it would help to make longer, constant depth cuts. The one thing I like about it is that you can tilt the blade to make an angled edge, a nice chamfer. Thoughts??
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I got one of these from Toy R Us, uh, I mean Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42307

Aside from the colour it looks pretty similar to the Micro Mark one. Has the mitre clamp, the little safety that holds the head up. Replacement blades are also available. They go on sale once in a while too, I got mine for 16.99. If there's no store nearby their shipping rates are pretty good too. I got an end mill holder and a set of lathe cutters and shipping was something like 5 bucks.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

I've used what I think is a Chopper I and the X-acto mitre box. Both have
their uses, but for what you're talking about, the cut-off tool might be the
best way to go. The mitre box is only good for 45 degree angles, and its
not as precise as it could be...
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Boys, boys, boys - The Dobson Miter-Rite is what you need!

I used the X-Acto miter box, and while it is decent-ish for 90° and 45° angles, the Dobson can be set to all kinds of angles, is pretty accurate (doesn't wander off angle), and is pretty inexpensive. I've used it time and time again and just love it. Since it's a saw blade, you can cut stuff up to 1/4 inch or so. The only thing you need to look out for with it is to tighten the set screws that hold the blade so that it is tight against the holder. This minimizes wobble while cutting. I haven't used the X-Acto one since I got this!

Go get one! Now! Shoo!

Kev
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I might have to get one of those, thanks for the link.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

As much as that miter box looks I need to cut about 24 pieces of box brass, more than I want to try by hand.

So with that in mind I ordered the miter cutter from Harbor (and the $10 micro torch).
Abolish Alliteration
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well, bought the Harbor Freight version (hmm, save $120 or buy MicroMark?) and have been playing with it.

I love this thing. Cut my box brass to shape in no time.

But it does have its problems. So-so degree markings, blind cuts (no indication of where the blade is going to fall unless you pull it down), no measurements on the vise (for cutting a series of equal length parts), so-so vise.

But what do you expect for $30+frieght.

So much fun.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

As far as those probs go, I don't see a lot diffeernt on the Micro Mark saw. In fact the vise hold down looks pretty well identical. Though on the other side. Like I aid, I got mine for 17 bones, A can buy one helluva protractor for the difference. :D
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I did get my Miter Rite and so far I love it. Cutting with a razor saw gives a better result than X-acto knife. It has its limitations, but I think it was worth the money.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

big-dog wrote:As far as those probs go, I don't see a lot diffeernt on the Micro Mark saw. In fact the vise hold down looks pretty well identical. Though on the other side. Like I aid, I got mine for 17 bones, A can buy one helluva protractor for the difference. :D
Purty much.
Abolish Alliteration
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

Has anyone used this item, maybe add some insight....

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-mig ... 93211.html

I've been wanting to get a lil' table saw for some time now.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

big-dog wrote:I got one of these from Toy R Us, uh, I mean Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42307

Aside from the colour it looks pretty similar to the Micro Mark one. Has the mitre clamp, the little safety that holds the head up. Replacement blades are also available. They go on sale once in a while too, I got mine for 16.99.
scratchy wrote:Has anyone used this item, maybe add some insight....

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-mig ... 93211.html

I've been wanting to get a lil' table saw for some time now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ziz62266/4 ... 285857380/

I just got both of those saws a week or so ago. Comments under the pics in the Flickr set. I built some accessories for each of them.

You did better than me on the Miter Saw. I paid $25.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by scratchy »

Ziz, I understand that there's no fence with that little table saw, do you plan on adding one?

What about the shaft where the blade goes on, is there any wobble as was stated on the website reviews

http://www.harborfreight.com/review/pro ... er-reviews

The performance on cutting styrene,are you satisfied, any problems with various thicknesses going through the blade?

One more :?: , Can you adjust the table to cut angles, or is it a straight 90 degree cut?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

A rip fence is definitely in my plans...not sure how to attack it yet.

Haven't noticed any blade wobble yet but also haven't used it much. As mentioned, I've only had it a week or two now.

Cuts styrene fine but you need to feel your way thru the cut. Too fast jams the blade, too slow causes a lot of melted burrs instead of a clean cut. Again though, I just started using it so I haven't fully put it thru its paces.

Table is just 90*, no angled cutting possible.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan