Air brush and C02

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Motherhen

Air brush and C02

Post by Motherhen »

I am brand new here, so be gentle.....

I know this can be done, I just don't know how and hoping someone here can help.

I have an airbrush that I use on models that I would like to rig to use with my 20oz CO2 tanks from playing paintball.

What I need is help creating a air system that regulates the pressure down to 5.0-12.0psi using paintball regulators etc.

I am unsure of how to hook it all together with gauges and lines to get to this low pressure. I really don't want to blow anything up....:shock:

I would also need a gauge to be able to read the low pressure at the airbrush end.

Schematics, drawings would help. Also, please, use REAL part numbers, names and where to get stuff.
Nothing cool to say, I just signed up today
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Just a thought: Paintball-high pressure, low volume.

Airbrush-low pressure, high volume

Don't think it'll work.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I read it somewhere (google it) that it is possible to hook up large tanks (Fire extinguisher size – CO2, Compressed air, N2...) to airbrushes, with pressure control valves and heat exchangers to heat the gas up after it cools from the expansion – or else the paint may freeze (if acrylics), you may get frostbite from holding the airbrush, or water vapor may condense from the air and fall as water droplets on your work.

A 20 Oz. tank may be too small to last you a full airbrushing session, however. And if you run out of "juice", you'll have to go refill it, right?

Do you have ready access to compressed CO2?
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I"m sorry if this sounds harsh. But everything you've mentioned sounds more like modeler's urban legend than real experience with using compressed gas with airbrushes.

I"ve used CO2 for over ten years. I've never used a heat exchanger. I've never had paint freeze (acrylics, enamels and lacquers) I've never had an airbrush freeze on me. I've never had frostbite from using one. And I've never had water come out of my airbrush.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I've used a CO2 talk for 6 years now, and I am very happy with my setup. I'm using a 5lb CO2 talk from Airgas, a gas supply company.

You'll need CO2 tank, a regulator and fittings to go between the regulator and your airbrush hose. I got all of the components from Airgas; the regulator was the most expensive. The total outlay was about $160 - expensive, but much, much cheaper than a quiet compressor and tank - which would still need a regulator.

Refills are cheap - about $12. A 5lb lasts me enough to spray about 5 - 6 models (1/72 aircraft, 1/35 tanks, 1/1000 PL 1701 sized) and clean the airbrush as well.

I've never had a freezing problem and it's not even a concern. The regulator may get cool with extended use, but by the time the CO2 reaches your airbrush, it's at or near room temperature. Since it's a dry gas, there are no water condensation problems and a water trap is not needed.

Frank
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I have been using my 25 lb tank 20 years. There are a whole bunch of good reasons to use CO2.

It's dry gas so no moisture traps are needed.

A CO2 tank does not pulse like some compressores are known to do. Just nice quite gas.

Look for a company in your area that sells CO2 to restaurants etc. Quite often they have reconditioned tanks for reasonable prices. Depending on your state, you may have to have the tank Hydrotested every 5 years (at least that is what Ohio requires). I usually gett about 80 hrs from my 25lb tank before a refill.

Hope this helps.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Motherhen

Post by Motherhen »

I knew the little cans in hobby stores were C02....

I was just trying to figure out a way to rig all my extra paibntball gear to get something that works.

Those big-ol-bottles of C02 just worry me in a house with little kids.

Thanks for the help........I may even actually build one of my models now.....although I am more of a figure modeler myself. I love the old monster stuff
Nothing cool to say, I just signed up today
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Motherhen wrote:I knew the little cans in hobby stores were C02...
Nope. The cans contain actually combustible gas (propane, butane etc.) just like cigarette lighter gas. Now that CFCs are a no-no, they're the only low-pressure, non-poisonous alternative available (deodorant, paint, insecticide... every spray can today uses flammable gases as propellant).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Motherhen wrote: Those big-ol-bottles of C02 just worry me in a house with little kids.
I too have those worries as I have a kid and several Cats that enjoy hangin in the shop. so what I do with mine is strap it to my workbech thus preventing the tanks from falling over.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

The only thing to be concerned about it knocking the tank over with such force that the valve on the top gets broken off. If the kids are that rowdy. then its the kids that need to be chained up, not the Co2 tank.

If you want to use the tank for air brushing then any regulator from the paint ball guns that goes to zero psi should be fine.
It is my understanding that most paint ball regulators don't actually do this.
A Clippard air component regulator can be hard lined to a paintball regulator and used to take the pressure from 100 to zero.

If you can plumb a Clippard "MAR-1" series regulator in between your paintball regulator and the airbrush, it will take 300psi and regulate it between 0-100psi
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_d ... sku=MAR-1P
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_d ... ?sku=MAR-1

The difference between these two are the input threads. Check with a local distributor correct threading, and/or the hardware store to get the pressure fittings required to plumb everything together.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Mark Yungblut wrote:
Motherhen wrote: Those big-ol-bottles of C02 just worry me in a house with little kids.
I too have those worries as I have a kid and several Cats that enjoy hangin in the shop. so what I do with mine is strap it to my workbech thus preventing the tanks from falling over.
Or you could strap the cats to the workbench.

:ducks:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Matthew Usher

Post by Matthew Usher »

macfrank wrote:I've used a CO2 talk for 6 years now, and I am very happy with my setup. I'm using a 5lb CO2 talk from Airgas, a gas supply company.

You'll need CO2 tank, a regulator and fittings to go between the regulator and your airbrush hose. I got all of the components from Airgas; the regulator was the most expensive. The total outlay was about $160 - expensive, but much, much cheaper than a quiet compressor and tank - which would still need a regulator.

Refills are cheap - about $12. A 5lb lasts me enough to spray about 5 - 6 models (1/72 aircraft, 1/35 tanks, 1/1000 PL 1701 sized) and clean the airbrush as well.

I've never had a freezing problem and it's not even a concern. The regulator may get cool with extended use, but by the time the CO2 reaches your airbrush, it's at or near room temperature. Since it's a dry gas, there are no water condensation problems and a water trap is not needed.

Frank
My experience has been the same as Frank's, but I use nitrogen instead of CO2. It's available at welding-supply shops. When the tank runs out, I return it to the shop and they exchange it for a full one. The whole procedure takes about 10 minutes.

Matt Usher @ FSM
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Airbrush...painting...finishing forum.
Arms inside the car, the thread is about to move.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

Well instead of spending $100+

I would go down to wal-mart and have a look around, they had a 2-3 gallon compressor, with a regulator. For $80 before christmas, and they marked it down to $40 after christmas
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Hey, can we sticky this thread? Granted, CO2/N2 users aren't as numerous as those that use compressors...but since there are fewer of us, the knowledge isn't as common.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."