temperature and paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

temperature and paint?

Post by darth_daniel »

I wondered if the temperature will affect the drying time of paint. I use enamels, and my hobby room is located just beneath the roof, it´s the highest located room of the house and since it´s winter now it gets cold there very fast and there are days when noone will go there so noone will turn on the radiator. I just started using the airbrush more often, so I wondered if it would be better to take the models to another room for drying.
Any advice? :?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Cooler temps will slow drying and freezing temps can produce bad things (as one who used to paint in the garage in Alaska).
Abolish Alliteration
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Whoops... :oops: Gonna have to turn up the radiator more often...it´s not freezing in my hobby room but it´s getting quite cold. Maybe that´s the answer to the question why I need so long for one simple model.
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

Most paints dry best at between 70-80 (21-25C). Humidity also is a major factor and 50-60% is about the optimum. The viscosity of paint also changes with lower temperature. Therefore it probably is best if you move to another room where it is warmer. Some of the best finishes I have achieved have been in warm weather when I spray outside.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

If it is really cold then I will stick spray cans or bottles I am about to paint in warm tap water.This will help with paint flow.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

Since posting the prior note, I experimented on the effect of temperature on spraying by using a heated floor. Though it is unusual itried spraying in my bathroom which has a heated tile floor. The paint finish came out better than normal. I feel that with slight heat rising from the heated floor, the paint dried quicker and harder than normal.
It would be interesting to hear from others about this effect
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Anothher thing to consider is if there is a great temp variance between the paint being sprayed adn the surface of the model. If the model is really cold then warm it slightly (I mean be really careful) to hear normal room temp (70 degrees F.). So if yyou are working in a cold area like a garage take the model inside and place it near a heat register Or using the low setting on a blow dryer use that to warm the surface.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert