Pine-Sol and Simple Green

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

irishtrek

Pine-Sol and Simple Green

Post by irishtrek »

When using Pine-Sol or Simple Greem for removing paint, can water be added to them without effecting their ability to remove paint?
Normal?? What is normal??
macfrank

Re: Pine-Sol and Simple Green

Post by macfrank »

irishtrek wrote:When using Pine-Sol or Simple Greem for removing paint, can water be added to them without effecting their ability to remove paint?
Regular Pine-Sol can soften styrene; is the effect reduced by adding water? I don't know... but I wouldn't want to find out.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Some body on here said that Pine-Sol with lemon scent has something in it that softens styrene, but regular Pine-sol won't harm styrene.
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

just go for something safer like Easy-off or Engine Degreaser like Castrol Super clean. you'll get a lot more sleep :D
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I will not use something like easy-off, sounds way too messy, as well as too much of a hassle to work with.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Easy-off is fine, do it with plenty of ventillation and in a tub or something to contain the muck.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Like I said I WILL NOT USE EASY-OFF.
As for why not
1) I live in an apartment and to deal with any mess/clean up afterward would be to much hassle and then there's the weather this time of year and I would rather strip paint indoors if I can.
2) I would prefer to use something for striping paint that can be used more than once, with something like Easy-Off it can only be used one time and to use it would cost more money down the line because every time I would have to strip paint I would have to get another can and right now I have at least 3 models that I want to repaint.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

irishtrek wrote:...

2) I would prefer to use something for striping paint that can be used more than once, with something like Easy-Off it can only be used one time and to use it would cost more money down the line because every time I would have to strip paint I would have to get another can and right now I have at least 3 models that I want to repaint.
Use acrylics. Most are easy to remove with alcohol, or other inexpensive/non-stinky solvents.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

As to the answer of the original question, I've just used undiluted simple green...it seems to work, but depending on the paint it might take a while. Doesn't harm styrene, either.

I wouldn't dilute it with water, it'll only make it take longer. If you are worried about running out, I just keep a plastic container full of the stuff, and drop in new things every now and then (mostly paint cups from my airbrush). When it stops being effective, I dump it out...One tubful lasts me about 6 months.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I'm talking about removieng spray paint, as for brush paints I've been using acrylic paints for about 10 years now, mainly ones you get at a craft store and a few of those are a decent match for MM paints.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I guess I meant even more specific than that. I've got MM enamels that simple green eats through with no problem. Except white. Same story with acrylics--not problem for any color, except one green that I have--I have to scrub it with a toothbrush. Haven't tried any spray paints.

But anyway, just try it--the only risk you have is time.

Dan
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

What effect does Pine-sol or Simple green have on resin? The larger pieces I intend to soaak in clear Rubbermaid tub and those are resin I do believe.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The enamel paints I want to remove are, Testors and Krylon, as well as Plasti-Kote laquer. 3 of the models were painted about 9 years ago so the paint is pretty much cured. Any body ever use Dot 3 brake cleaner?

There should be a sticky here for removing paint, because when I looked around on Starship Modeler every thing on removing paint is scattered and not very conclusive or infomative,I think those are the terms I'm looking for.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

This was under another thread here in the Finishing forum.

http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
TB2

Post by TB2 »

I've never had a problem with Pine Sol softening styrene. I don't leave parts in for longer than a few hours and it seems to remove 95-100% of the paint. What remains can be taken care of with a little Easy Off. Very little mess. I keep the Pine Sol in a container and have re-used it for years.
Suggest trying the Pine Sol on a spare part if possible but I don't expect you'd have a problem.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I don't know about resin, unfortunately. Do you have a piece of sprue or something to try? I'd bet with the different types of resins that things will react differently--so it's best to try and a spare part if possible.

That link that was posted above is a good one, unfortunately it doesn't cover resin either.

This would be a good time for you to write a quick and dirty article if you were so inclined...get a stopwatch and a couple of different products...

Dan
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I forgot toe mention all my kits are styrene, not resin, sorry about that.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

OK--just a few posts up you mentioned resin.

Anyway, I've left styrene in Simple Green for several days, and not had any problems...I've heard horror stories of Pine Sol after about a day...

Dan
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:OK--just a few posts up you mentioned resin.

Anyway, I've left styrene in Simple Green for several days, and not had any problems...I've heard horror stories of Pine Sol after about a day...

Dan
I was refering to the Rubbermaid tubs.
Anyway I bought a bottle of Pine-Sol regular today and after puting 2 pieces painted with laquer about a half hour later the paint was starting to lift off. then about 2 hours later I put a couple of pieces painted with an enamel, it took a little longer but the enamel started to lift off also.
Of all the pieces in the tub 1 was painted back this past summer while the others were painted several years ago. Haven't yet removed any pieces ,probably do that tommorow.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Removed the pieces today and cleaned them, the only after effect at this time is the plastic has a slight sticky feel to it and it also feels a bit soft, but when I scrapemy finger nail across the plastic there is no scratch marks. The one piece that was painted with a laquer over enamel has a cracked texture to it , not sure what to make of that.
And I still say there should be a sticky thread on removing paint.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Just want to thank every one who responded to this thread. The moderators can lock it out if they like considering it served its purpose or they can just let it disappear into cyber oblivion. Did I spell all that right?